weather changes in egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sunshine Chick 1, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Sunshine Chick 1

Sunshine Chick 1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Longwood, Florida
    We live in Central Florida and it just started to cool down. Actually we went from 95 for a high to 70 today. I notice that my hens laid 2-3 less eggs today. Is it because of the cooler weather?

Thanks.

2. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    Mine laid fewer after the front blew through here too. I think it has more to do with the change in barametric pressure than the temp, because chickens actually lay more in cooler (not cold) weather. It may also be related to the cloudy weather we got with the front... too few hours of sunlight.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

3. Sunshine Chick 1

Mar 12, 2009
    Longwood, Florida
    Our front came threw on Friday night. It was only cloudy on Friday afternoon. But that is good to know that they lay more in cooler weather. I still thanked them for the ones I did get. Yes I do thank my hens every day after I collect my eggs. No I am not nutts, but thankful. [​IMG]

4. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Keep in mind that it takes about three days from start to finish for an egg to be produced.
    If something happened to affect the egg production, it would have had to occur at least three days before the missed egg. Three days ago, a new egg was not started for some reason.
    Last summer, I had a dramatic drop in eggs one day. After thinking about it, I remembered that three days earlier a hawk was bothering them. The stress must have delayed the egg start. It also happened three days after I began confining them in their new run.

This time of year though, it's most likely because of the drop in sunlight hours.

5. Sunshine Chick 1

Mar 12, 2009
    Longwood, Florida
    I did not realize the 3 day thing. That is good to know. I have noticed they are eating more. But so is all the other animals on my little farm, so I thought it was just something in the air. [​IMG] It is dark dark by 7:30pm here now, and last night temps really dropped so they went into the coop early. There was a wind here, so I figured they wanted to get in out of the cold. Our blood is thin down here in Florida. [​IMG] Thanks again for the help.

6. MiWi

MiWi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2009
    Quote:I don't think you're nuts. This is my first time with chickens and I thank them everyday. I think it shows respect and gratitude.

7. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I sit out in the chicken run with the chickens daily and thank my hens for their gorgeous gift of colorful eggs
    they give me.

We have chairs in all our runs (duck, goose, chicken) so I can sit out there with them and talk to them.

Laurie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by