Weather has finally cooperated for our Coop build....(updated)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by goodbull92, Apr 17, 2012.

1. goodbull92

goodbull92 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    NE Texas
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  2. Tweakster

Tweakster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2012
    Garden Ridge, TX
    I luv that design!! Like you, I have also used the Clerestory design. The raised central roof is great for ventilation purposes.

3. goodbull92

Feb 8, 2012
    NE Texas
    I have to admit that I saw a couple here on BYC & modified what I saw to come up with this coop design....love this site!!!....It is a 12x12 & will have external nest boxes on the left side as you are looking from the front view of the pics. The pop door will be in the front & the human door in back. The run will enclose the front & right sides & will be approximately 675 sqft.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  4. goodbull92

Feb 8, 2012
    NE Texas
    Here is where we are in the progress....

[​IMG]

5. goodbull92

Feb 8, 2012
    NE Texas
    Well, the weather got us again this weekend....but we did make a little more progress when it stopped raining. We learned a lesson last year here in East Texas....I will try my best NOT to complain about the rain! \
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Had to make sure the shutters fit!!....i am NO carpenter AT ALL!!!!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  6. goodbull92

Feb 8, 2012
    NE Texas
    Hope to finish framing the walls & put siding on this weekend!!!...can't wait either!

7. goodbull92

Feb 8, 2012
    NE Texas
    Well, I didn't get near as much as I wanted done but that has become the norm. One reason for not getting as much done is that I decided to use the sheets of OSB that I had left over, plus the other OSB scraps, to "sheath" the coop in OSB before I but the siding on. I still have to frame the external next boxes & the human door but we are making progress(that is next). I will put the metal roof on after all of the OSB & nest boxes are done. Then siding, trim & paint! Here are a couple updated pics....more are on the link in my first post:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    wow its looking real good

:)

9. goodbull92

Feb 8, 2012
    NE Texas
    Do you have any suggestions or must do's for me silverfox? Inside or outside suggestion are welcomed! [​IMG]

10. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    tbh i couldnt suggest anything on that as its looking so good as it is

one thing to mention is the top where you have the apex roof that venelation drop will you be covering that will steel mesh as i beleive coons can easily get in and jump down

they wont be able to get out but once in they will kill the flock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by