Weather.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by beatriceanrufus, Jan 5, 2014.

1. beatriceanrufus

beatriceanrufus Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2013
    Hey! Tonight it is supposed to be getting down to freezing levels. I have two chickens, an Easter egger and a Rhode island red bantam. do i need to do anything special for them tonight or will they be okay?

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Welcome! You don't say where you are located, but if your hens are in a sheltered/insulated coop, draught free, they should be fine. You may need to change out the water by morning though!
    It was -11F here the other night and the girls did fine. If it got really cold like some folks here are experiencing, I would consider a heat lamp. Sue

3. beatriceanrufus

beatriceanrufus Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2013
    well i am here in florida so it will only be high 20s low 30s Fahrenheit. Thank you..

4. IAFarmGirl

IAFarmGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    South Central Iowa
    If you are in Florida then those temps shouldn't be a big challenge to them. They should be able to handle it fine as long as they have a draft free place to roost. I am in Iowa and we are supposed to have a low of Negative 17 degrees Fahrenheit tonite and a high tomorrow of negative 7 degrees Fahrenheit tomorrow. Our wind chill tomorrow is supposed to be a negative 35 to 60 degrees fahrenheit!! We will have to check for eggs frequently or we will lose them to freezing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by