1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weather

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shani914, Feb 24, 2015.

1. shani914

shani914 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2014
    So here in Texas it has started to snow. I put my three chickens in a large cage (big enough) in my garage because the heating lamp in my coop isn't working. It is now around 34 degrees and I was thinking about putting them back in the coop. On Thursday it's supposed to go down to 25 degrees, though. Should I keep them in the garage until Friday or let them back into their coop?

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    They should be fine in the coop with snow and in 25 degree weather. Mine were fine through 10 degrees and snow so the should be fine.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  3. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    25 aint nothing to a chicken.

4. girlybirds

girlybirds Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2014
    Medford, MA
    I live 7 minutes north of downtown Boston, MA. Our weather and temps have been in the single digits up to 15 below and my girls
    are doing great! They lay everyday too. I do however have them in a coop in the garage but they come outside and when their feet
    get cold go back in.... They are just now 1yr olds and they've done just fine in this cold weather! Yours will be fine too!

5. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    They're wearing a down coat.
    They'll be fine.
    Ours were out today in -15 but sunny weather. Puffed up like weird footballs, but they're fine. Oh, and if one foot gets cold, they tuck it up for a bit like a flamingo....then switch feet. The sun must have felt really good, as they stayed out all day.
    Silly birds!
    Yours will be fine outdoors. They'll come in if they want to.

6. shani914

shani914 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2014

Thanks so much! I'll return them to their coop tomorrow morning.

7. RedBreasted

RedBreasted Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    They would be fine. They can go down to 10. When it is in December in Idaho, It was cold and sometime is -1 degree or 20 or 2. And my hen survive. So that would be ok.

8. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Cold hardy breeds that are healthy and fully feathered, are quite comfortable in a draft free environment, with low temperatures that you will never see anywhere in Texas...

9. LanceTN

LanceTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    I live in Tennessee and my chickens run around all day everyday regardless of temperature. They eat snow, chase stuff blowing in the wind and generally appear to be having a ball.

Unless you live where it regularly hits below -10 you really don't need to be concerned with temperature

10. crzychkn

crzychkn Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    Texas boonies
    Hiya! I am also in TX and so enjoying this crazy weather, sarcasm there! :p despite the super cold, wind chills in the 20s, snow, sleet, ice etc, of the day's previous and upcoming, my little flock has done fine! I did bring the 2 Momma's and the chicks in to my 'maternity ward', but the others have plenty of shelters and windblocks and have surprised me with how well they do cold weather! I picked a couple up and was pleasantly surprised at their warmth underneath, especially if they have just been all nestled together on a roost here by the house! I think it is amazing how they stay so toasty! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by