Weatherproofing coop

UKchooks

Chirping
Nov 18, 2018
Hi all, looking for some advice on making my coop watertight.

First, a bit of background... I've had the coop a year. It's one I bought as flatpack and just assembled the pieces (about the extent of my DIY skills!) As per the instructions, I painted it with a weatherproofing woodstain after first assembly.

It was fine through a very wet winter, then the summer, and now into another wet winter and I've just started to notice that the damp is coming in through the gaps where the slats join together (see photos).

Do I just need to re-paint it with a weatherproofing product? If so, is there a particular product you can recommend (I'm in the UK so needs to be available here)? I don't have anywhere else to move the birds to while it's being done, so it also needs to be safe for them...

Or is there anything else I need to do?

Many thanks!
2019-12-06 15.44.58.jpg
2019-12-06 15.44.29.jpg
2019-12-06 15.44.05.jpg
2019-12-06 15.43.54.jpg

Folly's place

Crossing the Road
8 Years
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
You could tarp over the entire roof, with some overhang, if that helps. Is it leaking on all sides, or just the windward sides. Block in blowing rain on those sides will help then.
If you try caulking, beware that your chickens may decide to eat it!
Add another layer of siding over the original wood.
Or, build an actual roof over the building and run.
Prefab coops are usually pretty poor quality over here!
Mary

UKchooks

Chirping
Nov 18, 2018
It's just the windward side. There's a six-foot fence a foot away from the other side, which helps shelter it. I was thinking of a tarp as a temporary measure. Or maybe if I just lean a big sheet of plywood against it at an angle, that might help?

Top Bottom