1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    I was pricing out weathervanes to put on the cupola I want to put on top of my coop..... and the prices are outragous!

I was going through my attic and found some copper sheet I saved from college (can't believe it's been so long)..... so i'm going to make my own!!

[​IMG]

Here's the design

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  2. pacetruckguy

pacetruckguy The West Coast Chicken Whisperer

Dec 8, 2009
    Petaluma,CA
    Cool. Go for it! Post a picture when you're done. [​IMG]

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Awesome idea! I can't wait to see the finished product!!

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Rock out.. Cant wait to see the finished project...

5. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    I say go for it. I also looked at them a while back and I was in utter shock that some of them things were 4 and 5 grand. I wonder how many of them that they've ever sold and to who!!!

6. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Wow, that sounds awful $$ to me. I picked up a nice reproduction in solid copper at a tourist trap on Hatteras for $130 - 20 years ago [​IMG]
    It was pretty heavy duty and came with cast iron mounting hardware! There should be nice ones around for $2-300. Still pricey for a coop, I'd put mine way the heck up on my roof to deter thieves. And use some kind of really weird security screws.

7. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i saw some copper ones .. they are pretty.. i would be worried about heavy wind bending it.. i would put something in side for a frame and copper both sides of the frame for support.. should be great when your done

8. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    Thanks for the ideas.
    This will be made of 2 pieces (maybe 3), each side will be hammered out to form the shape and then soldered together. The hammering will workharden the copper a bit so it should withstand high winds etc.

I'll post picts as I make it, if you want to see how I do it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  9. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    If making it yourself fails (or for the others who aren't so artistic), my friend, Sue, makes weathervanes from powder-coated steel. They are still between $200-$300 delivered, but are a heavy, high quality product. See link below. She also has a nice hen design that is not on the website.

http://www.sudirect.com/Farm.htm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by