Web links for bedding

nekocafe

Chirping
May 24, 2022
Georgia
Hi! I have a covered chicken run that connects to the coop. I like the idea of construction sand or wood chips for the run bedding. What do you use that has been easiest? I am looking specifically for web page links to Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, etc on what you use so I can easily purchase the bedding. It’s been a bit daunting trying to find what to use. I live in Georgia where its warm most of the year, humid in the summer, winters are fairly mild, but sometimes have freezing temps. Photo for fun - the girls are eating the vegetation before the bedding is put down.

Attachments

• D529E1D4-A3D2-4854-B175-F07EE5C7A0AC.jpeg
    D529E1D4-A3D2-4854-B175-F07EE5C7A0AC.jpeg
    557.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
They really don't need any substrate in the run, good old dirt is just fine.
Thanks for that info, I read that it could be a breeding ground for bacteria. There’s so many different pages with conflicting information so I’m trying to figure out what will be best.

Thanks for that info, I read that it could be a breeding ground for bacteria. There’s so many different pages with conflicting information so I’m trying to figure out what will be best.
The chips could generate mold and mildew if they get soaked, sand can get in eyes and the dust can cause respiratory issues. It really depends on your climate. Bacteria live everywhere and most aren't a thread for chickens. :)

You don't mention your location or climate or what your plans are for cleaning/maintenance so what's "best" for your set up will vary depending on that.

I have no experience with sand so I'll answer for wood chips. Do you have space to store a chip pile? Best option is to either sign up for chipdrop or contact a local tree company to see if you can get a load of chips dropped. You can get it free (in my area) or maybe for the cost of gas & a tip, depending on how commonly available wood chips are in your area.

Second option is to contact a landscape supply and have them truck in coarse, undyed/untreated mulch.

Seems to be more difficult to find untreated mulch of sufficient size from big box stores, and it's flat out more expensive.

You don't mention your location or climate or what your plans are for cleaning/maintenance so what's "best" for your set up will vary depending on that.

I have no experience with sand so I'll answer for wood chips. Do you have space to store a chip pile? Best option is to either sign up for chipdrop or contact a local tree company to see if you can get a load of chips dropped. You can get it free (in my area) or maybe for the cost of gas & a tip, depending on how commonly available wood chips are in your area.

Second option is to contact a landscape supply and have them truck in coarse, undyed/untreated mulch.

Seems to be more difficult to find untreated mulch of sufficient size from big box stores, and it's flat out more expensive.
Thank you! I live in Georgia where it’s warm most of the year, mild winters, and very humid during the summer.

Thank you! I live in Georgia where it’s warm most of the year, mild winters, and very humid during the summer.

Sand is reputed to work best in dry climates. I've never tested that because the idea of daily poop scooping repels me.

I'm a great fan of Deep Bedding for the coop and/or for a covered run that stays dry. Here's my article on it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

Since you're in Georgia I suggest pine straw. I find that it has these advantages:
  • It's free for the raking in my yard (and otherwise readily available in this region).
  • It doesn't pack or mat readily.
  • It dries out on top very quickly after even the heaviest rains (less important in a covered run, but you can still expect some rain to blow in on the windward side).
  • It lasts longer than straw or shavings (but not as long as coarse wood chips).
  • When mixed with other materials it helps prevent them from packing and matting.

They really don't need any substrate in the run, good old dirt is just fine.
Not really, once the poop start building up it can get nasty if there's no carbon to 'eat' it up.

I live in Georgia
Welcome to BYC! @nekocafe
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1653829846499.png

Sand is reputed to work best in dry climates. I've never tested that because the idea of daily poop scooping repels me.

I'm a great fan of Deep Bedding for the coop and/or for a covered run that stays dry. Here's my article on it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

Since you're in Georgia I suggest pine straw. I find that it has these advantages:
  • It's free for the raking in my yard (and otherwise readily available in this region).
  • It doesn't pack or mat readily.
  • It dries out on top very quickly after even the heaviest rains (less important in a covered run, but you can still expect some rain to blow in on the windward side).
  • It lasts longer than straw or shavings (but not as long as coarse wood chips).
  • When mixed with other materials it helps prevent them from packing and matting.
I love love love this idea! Thank you! I didn’t even think about pine straw. 😂 I have 14 chickens at the moment - if we have any roos I will give them to a friend - so we might a few less. Would this work for that many chickens? The total coop and run size is 6’x12’. And can I use this method inside the coop as well?

I love love love this idea! Thank you! I didn’t even think about pine straw. 😂 I have 14 chickens at the moment - if we have any roos I will give them to a friend - so we might a few less. Would this work for that many chickens? The total coop and run size is 6’x12’. And can I use this method inside the coop as well?

The Usual Guidelines are:

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
So for 14 birds you need:
  • 56 square feet in the coop,
  • 140 square feet in the run,
  • 14 linear feet of roost,
  • 4 nest boxes,
  • And 14 square feet of ventilation
6x12 total combined space is only 72 square feet -- only slightly more than 1/3 of the 196 square feet that they need. :(

While those numbers are *guidelines* rather than hard-and-fast *rules*, they are usually considered minimums. I can't see Deep Bedding working in a system that badly overloaded with manure because there just won't be enough space for enough bedding to keep the poop dried out. It will almost certainly get caked under the roosts.

Pine straw remains a very good bedding, however, because of the possibility that it's free and the qualities listed.

Back
Top Bottom