Webbed toed Brahma chick...a problem?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by saylernsaxonsmom, Aug 5, 2010.

1. saylernsaxonsmom

saylernsaxonsmom In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Petersburg
    One of my Dark Brahma chicks has a set of webbed toes. Is this a common problem? She's about five weeks old. I haven't notice any other differences between her and her sisters, aside from the toes. I just wondered if this could lead to other issues down the line... Any ideas? Thanks!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I haven't seen it with any of my brahmas, but I only have 14.
    I doubt it will be a problem if it isn't preventing her from moving around okay.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I've never had webbed feet in any of mine.
    Do you know if they were inbred?
    I wouldn't have thought that it would cause a problem in the chick, but it could be that the trait is inherited.

Sandie

4. saylernsaxonsmom

saylernsaxonsmom In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Petersburg
    We live in a pretty rural part of Texas, so I had to order from a hatchery in order to get my Brahmas. I'm not sure how well the hatcheries monitor the genetics of their birds...I would hope that is considered, but I'm doubtful it's a top priority. After I posted, I did a BYC search on the topic and someone had suggested to another poster that it was caused by a Biotin deficiency in the mama during the egg laying cycle. Anyone heard about that?

Thanks again for the help!

(BTW, little Bella is doing very well. Good thing her feet are feathered so the other girls can't make fun of her jacked-up toes! Poor thing will never be able to get a pedicure...[​IMG]

5. BackToMyRoots

BackToMyRoots Chirping

Jun 29, 2010
    Matthews, NC
    [​IMG]

I keep picturing chickens soaking their feet with spa towels wrapped around their heads!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by