webbed toes on my baby cochin

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by carriehelene, Mar 31, 2009.

1. carriehelene

carriehelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    Hi all. I realize that chickens have some webbing between their toes, however, my baby cochin I received today has webbing almost halfway along the length of her outer two toes, and while the toes aren't exactly fused together, the outer toe on both feet do not seperate on their own, causing her to wobble somewhat when she walks. She does walk, just a little wobbly. Any ideas on how to handle this?

2. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't want this to get to the second page, so bump!

3. I LOVE COCHINS

I LOVE COCHINS ChochieChochieCoo

Feb 10, 2008
    [​IMG]

Can you post pictures so we can see what your talking about by webbing? Maybe someone else here at the BYC has more experience with this type of problem. I myself have not had this happen.

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Seems like something you could clip free at this early age. Sharp scissors, and keep her seperate until they heal.

5. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I have read about it one here in other places, if I remember right, it seems to be a birth defect caused by genes or something....

And i did read about other people clipping them, so maybe someone can help you!

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I could swear I read on here once that this is a defect that could be due to (too much) line breeding, though I'm not completely sure. I would certainly not use this specimen for breeding. If it's getting around okay, I wouldn't bother cutting it, either. Why cause undue stress? JMO

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    A co-worker had a duck and chicken mate. They hatched the eggs in their Incubator. The chicks looked like chicks with webbed feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by