webbed toes, surgery

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fc, Jan 5, 2011.

1. fc

fc In the Brooder

Sep 24, 2010
    I have a chick that was born with the second and third toes webbed together. It made it harder for it to walk well. I decided it was time to do something. I took a scalpel and tried to cut the web, but it would not (after using alcohol on the foot and scalpel)! I then took a good pair of scissors and cut the web. There was very little blood, and no indication of pain. The toe is spreading out. Success!

2. tammye

tammye Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    good for you, I'm sure the chick will be happy, finally I don't walk like a duck!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

My you were brave! your chicken also [​IMG]

4. fc

fc In the Brooder

Sep 24, 2010
    I am a nurse, and used to work in the operating room. Seemed pretty easy to me. The bird stayed still once I turned him upside down. Does that make me a chicken surgeon?

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You are a chicken surgeon.[​IMG] By the way webbed feet can be an inherited trait. I would not use this bird for breeding in the future.

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Your right, sourland, I inherited them from my Mom's side of the family! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    All the better for swimming or snowshoeing.[​IMG]

8. sueche

sueche Chirping

Feb 17, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    I have a new chick with his toes webbed together. he is only 2-3 days old. what was you procedure in doing this?

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

if fc doesn't see your post sueche, you might want to PM her. and good luck on the surgery. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  10. fc

fc In the Brooder

Sep 24, 2010
    Wait until the chick has more developed toes. Wait till you can clearly see the web between the well-formed toes, and can make a cut that won't damage the toes. Clean the foot well with alcohol on a clean rag. Clean a good pair of scissors with alcohol. I used hair trimming scissors. Turn the chick upside down. It might help to have someone hold the chick for you. Cut between the toes. The surgery came out very well. It's kind of tough to tell which chicken had the problem. You want to cut far enough that the toes will separate enough, but don't get too carried away. It took time for the toe to start pointing out, but it will happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: