webs in chick starter? is it safe to feed?

froggyphore

Songster
Sep 20, 2019
i just got some new chick starter and right at the top of the bag are little clumps of feed webbed together.
25236361-0AEB-4063-9CFF-6C9C8D47AEDE.jpeg
doesn’t look like mold anywhere and the feed is completely dry. is this safe for my chicks? usually i just wouldn’t feed it but i’m all out of feed (couldn’t make it to the store until yesterday due to car issues, and they’re closed today) tyia

If there is no alternative, then yes, it is better to feed them than to let them go hungry when they are tiny. Or you might make your own feed out of boiled egg yolks and whatever else you have around that is suitable, like unsalted sunflower seeds. Don't give them hard grain unless they've had access to dirt, because they need the little stones they glean to digest it.

thanks for the advice everyone, they’re about 10 weeks and go out daily so i’ll probably just improvise feed until i can get to the store again. i’ve never run out of feed so i was worried they’d be too hungry without it, but i guess they wouldn’t be getting feed if they were still jungle fowl lol. i’m just miffed because i checked the whole top half of the feed and can’t find any more evidence of bugs.

Back
Top Bottom