1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Website - diagnosis, clinical signs, and necropsy PHOTOS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flood, Feb 14, 2013.

1. flood

flood Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I want to share this website I found that has all sorts of easy to access information with photos. I butchered a couple of roos tonight and their livers don't look right to me. I took pics and tossed the birds. (hate doing that but better safe then sorry) When I googled it I came up with lots of photos on threads from here that were never really answered. Then I found this website:\

http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/

It didn't help me figure out this liver but it may help you.

Lorie

2. JacquiJ

JacquiJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2012
    Thanks!
    Can I ask what your bird's liver looked like?

3. flood

flood Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I could show you a picture! :)
    It wasn't vibrant and healthy looking, slightly pale. It had some "spots" like a few small blobs that looked white/yellowish and some reddish places elsewhere on the liver.

I was telling my 14yr old about it and told him we hadn't even cleaned the third one...only put it in the burn barrel. Such a shame, we could still bait a coyote. He got so excited and insisted we cut it open and take pictures...so we did. We just finished at midnight and he got some pretty good pics. This ones liver at first looked fine, not blotchy like the other two and it was a fairly good color. Then as I held the bird up for pics we saw great red/purple on the top of the lobes. His intestines were all glued together with (skin??, fat??) I dont know. We took pics. They are so fatty from our feed store feed that has corn in it I guess.

4. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    So how about those pics?

5. flood

flood Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Hmm, OK.

[​IMG]
    Chicken 1

[​IMG]
    ^^ White spots there and ^^ green discoloration there. Chicken 2.

[​IMG]

Chicken 3

[​IMG]

Chicken 3 still intact.

6. JacquiJ

Sep 29, 2012
    It really looks like fatty liver syndrome. Was the stuff glueing the intestines together yellow and kinda oily?

7. JacquiJ

Sep 29, 2012
    How old we're your Roos?

8. JacquiJ

Sep 29, 2012
    Were not we're. Stupid phone.

9. JacquiJ

Sep 29, 2012
    Did anything else look irregular or were they acting funny?

10. flood

flood Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Yes. Look at that last photo again. The yellow at the bottom is not connected to the liver. Just built up inside the cavity. That white membrane skin with yellow fat deposits was everywhere, not just enclosing the insides but over and around them all. ... It was like every organ had thick tough membrane covering and enclosing it.

I got to thinking about diet last night when i ran across a pic of cow livers. One conventional feed, one organic feed, one free range. Free range is what I am used to. Conventional is near what I have. They can't be healthy like this. The livers were friable. I had to cut carefully to get them out and the whole insides were extremely hard to remove with all birds, NOTHING like we normally experience. DH thought he'd forgotten what he was doing or something, just a strange situation. I feel bad for butchering them and not eating them but also I don't. They were big and mean. Pretty, but mean. I won't be getting Orps again.

Thank you for responding with a label for me! It gets me further along for sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by