Website for my sister, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by call ducks, Dec 9, 2010.

1. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    My Christmas present for my Sister (older) is going to be some thing practice this year. It's a website. My sister Is a cake decorator ( a budding one anyways) she is working with a wedding center and is going to do all the cakes for them. I figured i would make her a website. I would like to know if you think it is ok for a Cake site (the design of it) it is not done yet. http://claires-cakes.ca

as this is her X-mas present i would like to make it be a nice site.

Thanks

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    I like it.. She will be thrilled with it. And once Christmas gets here, you can work with her and put whatever information and photos she wants on there.. It will be awesome!!

3. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Ms.FuzzyButts :

I like it.. She will be thrilled with it. And once Christmas gets here, you can work with her and put whatever information and photos she wants on there.. It will be awesome!!

Thanks. I am looking into adding a a CMS (content mangment System so she can edit it her self, if she want's to) i will also be adding a Blog. I have yet to decide if i would like to use the built in blog system or use a Word Press blog. Hummm​

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I know nothing about building websites but I think it's a lovely gift from the heart. [​IMG]

5. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:x2 That's a great gift and one that'll keep on giving, add to her business and show your support for her dream.

Very very cool!

6. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    Quote:Thanks. I am looking into adding a a CMS (content mangment System so she can edit it her self, if she want's to) i will also be adding a Blog. I have yet to decide if i would like to use the built in blog system or use a Word Press blog. Hummm

I've built a bunch of sites - I don't do it commercially but for friends and so on - and by FAR the easiest way to make it look great without having to do a lot of coding is to build the whole thing on Wordpress. There are a ton of free themes that are designed to be both the landing page (the "front page" of the site) and incorporate a blog. Boldy (http://wordpress.site5.net/boldy/) is free and very easy to use once you know your way around the Wordpress dashboard. You can see it in use on my Cardigan site if you click on "website" under my name over on the left. There are a bunch of other business-oriented themes that let you have a pretty front page and then give you links to get into the blog area or into galleries and so on. Liquorice (http://nudgedesign.ca/themes.php) is a new one that I thought was just adorable; you can make your basic business introduction a sticky post, so it'll stay on top, and then have your daily or weekly updates change below it.

7. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Thanks for the Comments

8. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:Thanks. I am looking into adding a a CMS (content mangment System so she can edit it her self, if she want's to) i will also be adding a Blog. I have yet to decide if i would like to use the built in blog system or use a Word Press blog. Hummm

I've built a bunch of sites - I don't do it commercially but for friends and so on - and by FAR the easiest way to make it look great without having to do a lot of coding is to build the whole thing on Wordpress. There are a ton of free themes that are designed to be both the landing page (the "front page" of the site) and incorporate a blog. Boldy (http://wordpress.site5.net/boldy/) is free and very easy to use once you know your way around the Wordpress dashboard. You can see it in use on my Cardigan site if you click on "website" under my name over on the left. There are a bunch of other business-oriented themes that let you have a pretty front page and then give you links to get into the blog area or into galleries and so on. Liquorice (http://nudgedesign.ca/themes.php) is a new one that I thought was just adorable; you can make your basic business introduction a sticky post, so it'll stay on top, and then have your daily or weekly updates change below it.

I think she would do better Just with a Blog, as i can do the site my self. I am still thinking about things.

9. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Wow!!! Seriously, that is an awesome gift. I wish my sister could do things like that. I just get coffee from Starbucks [​IMG]

10. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:HAHA, i am not that good yet i am using a WYSIWYG editor (What You See Is What You Get) along with some of my own Code.

Thanks again for the comments

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by