1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We'd love your opinion on our setup! The more the merrier!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BarredCometLaced, Jul 10, 2011.

1. BarredCometLaced

BarredCometLaced Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Northern NH
    [​IMG] Hello there! We are first time chicken owners that live in northern New Hampshire in a neighborhood that does not allow free range chickens. Even if it were allowed, we would not because there are multiple crazy dogs that harass the rabbits that we already have and there are bears and fisher cats. SO, we had to make do with what we had. We bought a 10x10 dog run, and put our coop inside of it. There is about 8*10 feet of space for our 3 birds. For extra protection, we pu chicken wire down to keet 'diggers' out. Because they are not going to be free range, we will also be feeding them (as a supplement to their layer feed) meal worms, slugs, sunflower seeds, fresh vegetables from our garden (including corn), and scratch (in the winter) to keep a variety going. I understand that 8*10 is not a lot, but we will keep the ground covered in straw ( for scratching/ entertainment) and provide then a dust box. Is there anything you guys can recommend from experience? Is 8*10 enough for three birds?

[​IMG]

The coop and run!

[​IMG]

Another angle that shows the rabbit hutch.

[​IMG]

Inside the run. We put leaves down for additional cover.

[​IMG]

The chicken wire... |_ <- the wire looks something like that in the ground

[​IMG]

Again, inside the run.

We really don't know if this is okay. We'd love to hear your opinion on our set up!

Thanks (constructive criticism appreciated)!

2. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I think you have a perfect setup and you three little peepers will be more than happy!

3. wilcoxmad

wilcoxmad Out Of The Brooder

That looks really good! You may want to consider putting some wire on top to keep predators out?

4. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    That is more than enough space for 3. I have like half that much, but I do let mine run around a bit.

5. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Great little area!! But I agree, I would try to put something over the top for extra protection but I am a worry wort like that [​IMG]

6. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Looks like a area, lots of shade. I like it.

7. Grillmaster33

Grillmaster33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    Very nice. I'd live there! I mean...I'd let my ... birds...live there.

8. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Looks great!

But yes, cover the top with something to keep animals from climbing over and tearing into the cute little coop they will be sleeping in. Maybe a solid roof so that in the snow they will still have a place to go out and stretch their legs. There is plenty of room for three.

9. Velvet Hairpiece

Velvet Hairpiece Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah they recommend about 10 sq feet per bird.... so you can get 5 more! [​IMG]

I love the little coop, it looks very nice!

10. BarredCometLaced

BarredCometLaced Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Northern NH
    We added a netting roof on the top!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by