1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wedding Plans..help with veil?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rodriguezpoultry, Dec 5, 2010.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Hello all! I've got an odd question...

I'm going to be married next fall and am wanting to do something a bit differently. A normal veil consists of rhinestones, thread, etc. Well...I'd like to incorporate feathers.

Not just any feathers, white saddle feathers from a rooster. I'd like the outer feathers, not the downy ones so that there will be a "shine" to the head/hair part of the veil. I'm debating adding some gold, say from a Buff Orpington or something to jazz it up and help it match the dress.

Would it even be possible for this to happen? Could any seamstress do it or would I have to find someone special to do it?

I'm also debating on, instead of a flower girl, having a "feather girl" who drops white feathers down the pathway to the alter.

Is this an alright idea? Or tacky?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I LOVE it!!!!!!!!

Its your wedding day and you can do anything you want! Even scattering scratch outside too!

Are you planning on wearing white dress?

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I like the idea. Surely most seamstresses would be able to incorporate feathers. [​IMG]

4. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I'd think it would be fairly easy to add the feathers on the sides and top where there is a natural curve to the veil, anyway. If you're having it made you could probably easily have them add them but I think you could easily stitch them on yourself, too, if you buy it pre-made.

I've been to a wedding where they dropped paper hearts instead of flower petals, so I say do what you want! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  5. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Google feather veil and you'll see a lot of pics.

Mostly they look more like hair clips to me, at just a glance, but still enough net to cover the face.

There are some that work with a top hat that have a longer veil... think maybe it's a support issue.

But if you did a headband, as opposed to a clip, I don't see why you couldn't do any length you wanted?

Take a gander... there are lots of lovely ideas right at one's fingertips.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Do whatever you want! Its your wedding day!
    I had a head circle thingie made out of fresh wild flowers (didnt want a veil).. and i released butterflies at my wedding..

7. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    There was an article in MaryJane's Farm magazine about a gal who made her veil out of white peacock feathers, so I would assume it could be done!! [​IMG]

8. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Ropo, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I love the idea of feathers in your veil and to drop on the isle. No clue on who to get to sew it. Good luck!

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    As for dropping feathers down the aisle...
    Just be sure that noone at the wedding is deathly allergic to feathers..
    Otherwise its a great idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by