Wee Brown Christmas Mutt Puppy - Any Breed Guesses?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Windrider, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Windrider

Windrider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, my brother's kids have been begging for a puppy forever, so... since the yard is finally secure.... they are getting a big surprise Christmas morning. The pup has been at my house for a week and a half awaiting the big day. She's a sweetie and is learning her doggie manners from some well-mannered and tolerant collies. I took her to the vet for her shots and filling out the form it asks for breed and I'm like.... hmmmm. Anyone want to help me make a guess?

She came from a shelter, the box of four unwanted pups was left on the roadside. She is probably 8-10 weeks old right now and weighs 8 pounds. The shelter folks (who don't know a darn thing about breeds, I think) had her listed as a shepherd lab cross. Yeah, right, with those tiny feet? To me, it also looks like she has an abnormally round head, round eyes, and very short nose (although it may just be me, since my collies are just about the opposite in every physical way LOL). I think she looks a great deal like those designer dogs "Jugs" which are a cross between a pug and a Jack Russell - her coat feels very pug-like. Her ears are too small to be the most popular pug cross, the Puggle (beagle/pug). But I don't know if she'd be 8 pounds already if she was a "Jug". Other guesses welcome - here's the pics!

Face shots also showing the small feet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Profile - look at that stubby nose!

[​IMG]

Getting a body shot was difficult, since she always wants to pounce on me, but this shows her coat and black, semi-curled tail.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  2. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Not a clue what she is but she is very cute and they will love her!! [​IMG]

3. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Quote:She looks like a chug jug mix.

4. Windrider

Windrider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Quote:Really? I thought any Chi at all would be out since even at 8-10 weeks, she is already way bigger than a Chi. I just measured her and she is 10 inches at the withers. If I am remembering correctly, she seems about the same size as my over-sized 35 pound sheltie was at this age. That is what is throwing me - she looks like she is going to get bigger than a pug or Jack Russell purebred.

5. gaited horse

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Quote:Really? I thought any Chi at all would be out since even at 8-10 weeks, she is already way bigger than a Chi. I just measured her and she is 10 inches at the withers. If I am remembering correctly, she seems about the same size as my over-sized 35 pound sheltie was at this age. That is what is throwing me - she looks like she is going to get bigger than a pug or Jack Russell purebred.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/jug.htm

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    She's too cute. Her new owners are going to love her. Happy holidays.

7. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Those kids are gonna go NUTS!!! Has the face of a pug, almost

8. gaited horse

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV

Maybe she has a hint of small lab or mabe sharpie for fun.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  9. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Any black on the tongue? May have some Chow Chow in there?

10. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Heinz 57.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by