Wee Tiny Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GreenMum, Oct 11, 2013.

1. GreenMum

GreenMum Out Of The Brooder

Can anyone tell me what's up with this? In this picture I have regular sized eggs, pullet eggs, and this wee tiny egg. I find them every once in a while. Any thoughts or insight about what these wee tiny eggs are about is much appreciated!
    [​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    That looks like what people call wind or fart eggs. They are usually just a glitch in the egg laying system, they are fairly common with young layers and older birds lay them occasionally. The wind eggs often do not have a regular yolk in them, and they tend to be really tiny, so that is what your girl may have laid. Have you cracked it open to see what is inside?

3. GreenMum

GreenMum Out Of The Brooder

Yup, and there is definitely no yolk. Thanks for the input, I've been wondering about these for years! Good to know that there's nothing wrong with my girls.

4. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    My RSL lays very small eggs and they all have had yolks in them.They make great fried eggs. The kids love them.When I crack one open I will post another pic.Hers are the darker ones.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. AK Baha

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG]The 4 small eggs are from my RSL.

[​IMG]As you can see they have yolks.

[​IMG]A couple of regular size eggs with the 4 small ones.

[​IMG]And break fast is served. Like I said the grand kids just love em.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Cute little eggs. Wind eggs are usually really small in comparison to what the chicken usually lays, and are often more round, and usually do not have a normal yolk in them. It looks like your girl is just laying small eggs, probably PeeWee or Small sized by weight. How old is your RSL? It is odd for one of those to lay Small size eggs, usually they lay Larges. My bantams and some of my smaller breeds like the Hamburgs and Fayoumis etc lay PeeWee or Small eggs on a regular basis, occasionally I get a wind egg from one of them and it is really tiny.

7. sacramento

sacramento Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2013
    Colorado
    [​IMG]
    That is my wee egg from just now..... that is it compared to a nickel.. cray small! :)

8. AK Baha

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    She is about 27 weeks old. Has been laying for about a month now. Usually lays an egg a day. I would not mind at all if she kept laying this size.

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] I call the small eggs low calorie or low cholesterol (the no-yolks) eggs and the in-laws fight over 'em.

10. jaxchic

jaxchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Florida
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Laid by an older hen, about the size of a quail egg. I blew it, and mod podged it to save it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by