WEED AND FEED

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MissChessy, Feb 18, 2008.

1. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    My husband and I are fixing to weed and feed our yard and our neighbor's yard. Was wondering if anyone has any knowledge if it is okay to let the hens out to free range. They go to my neighbors house to free range there also. Is it okay to spread Weed And Feed and allow them out of the run?

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    does it say anything on the back of the bag or bottle? Usually when I take care of my lawn it says to not let them out for a few hours or to saturate with water. I think the chickens would think its scratch and eat it

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2008
  3. MissChessy

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    I'll have to look on the bag. We are fixing to head out to Wally World to pick some up, we have had saturating rains here. Our yard looks like a mini pond or marsh.

4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Hello,
    I would not think the bag would have directions for poultry or fowl. You may need to call the company, asking about chickens etc.. Most chemicals used for the average homeowners deal with dogs, cats etc..

If you find out please post the correct use..Thank you Dixie

5. MissChessy

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    I'll do that, since today is the day that you are supposed to trim roses, trees, and weed and feed the lawns. That is if you can and don't live in snow country. I'm down in South Texas. Cold for a couple of days and hot for 4 days. Crazy weather here.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Don't use weed n feed on a puddley lawn. If you really want to use it at all, wait til things have dried out. The 'or saturate with water' means 'or flush it down into the soil once you've spread it' - it will not work properly if you apply it on saturated marshy ground and I would for SURE not want any animals drinking that water ot getting the moisture on their feet etc. And you REALLY don'y want to risk fertilizer and herbicide saturated water running off into a ditch or stream if you get more rain.

Weeds help keep your lawn green during the summer/winter (whichever time of year things brown off where you live). They are not necessarily an enemy to be chemicalled at.

Just a thought,

Pat

7. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    Ift here are any herbicides in the weed and feed, I suspect there are, I wouldn't let my chickens (or kids or other animals) near it for at least the proscribed time plus a week or a number of rain storms later.

Herbicides do have effects on animals and there is a good bit of evidence that links them ot cancers in humans. Just MHO.

Kay

8. MissChessy

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    Thank you for everyone's input. We are going to wait until late April to set out the Weed and Feed as per directions on the fertilizer bag. We have a terrible time with clover, dandelions, and you name it in our yard. We have the carpet grass here.

I'll keep my hens penned up when we fertilize.

9. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    There is a totally safe Weed-and-Feed made from corn gluten. Call around and ask your local hardware/feed/garden suppy stores or order on line. One brand is "W.O.W. Plus" from www.gardensalive.com. but there are several brand names. Ask for CORN GLUTEN-based weed and feed.

I would never want to eat eggs from a chicken allowed on a yard that had herbicedes/perticides on it, personally. Far too dangerous IMHO.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  10. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I think that's a very bad idea. The "weed and seed" has herbicides in it for weed control. Not something you want your little biddies drinking runoff from or eating the seeds themselves-which they will if given half a chance. I woudln't risk it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by