Weed control in lawn?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by black_fx_35, Jul 30, 2010.

1. black_fx_35

black_fx_35 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I have eight chicks that are 5 days old. Have a question about keeping my lawn weed free, and not having harmful chemicals to control the weeds. I like to keep my lawn looking nice, but am afraid I won't be able to controlnweeds if they come up. Chicks will be in a run, but they will free range when we are home. Any advice? Thanks.

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    pick the dandelion greens as they are young and small. They taste wonderful in salads, and my rabbits love them almost as much as we do. We prefer to send the younger kids out with big bowls....

3. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Can be like my hubby -- mow on the lowest setting every other day for a week with no rain...NOTHING will grow for the rest of the summer.....

4. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    There is organic weed contol that you can buy, my city has banned herbicides. My lawn had been and most likely will remain just weeds;) lawns made of weeds cost less due to less watering and the bonus is they it green all summer:)

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:ditto. if it's green, it's allowed to grow here!
    Most turf grass has a specific niche, if it's too hot, too cold, too dry, etc. it will wilt and look bad. Weeds on the other hand, there is a different one for each niche, so something is always green lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by