Weed killer?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by silkiechicken, Jun 3, 2007.

1. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Ok, So I remember reading a post here somewhere with a way to kill weeds and that it would rid of vegetation for a few year or something on those spots. What was this mix again?

I want to kill off about 2000 sq feet of invasive thistle and random grasses that have come up over the past few years to a point where you can't see the rocks anymore under them. This is in our drive way.

Thanks for any advise!

2. xrayman

xrayman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2007
    Central IA
    Round up will kill all the plants mix it a little stronger than the bottle suggest. That's what i use on our drive way.
    2-4-D will kill the broad leaf plants and thisles and leave the grasses alone.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    1 cup of salt in a gallon of white vinegar and add 1/4 cup of dish soap.

that is another alternative to using round up.

4. silkiechicken

Hmm, I'll try the salt, vinegar and dish soap thing. Is that perminant? I want everything dead out there. Even all the grasses. The invasive weeds grow back so quickly that they have even let the founder types of tree seedlings startup again!

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    It killed everything along the driveway for a year. Grass, weeds, brush etc.

6. xrayman

xrayman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2007
    Central IA
    I'll have to try that heck of alot cheaper than roundup. Thanks for the info

7. silkiechicken

How heavy of a spray do you have to put on everything with that? Should I mix up a 5 gallon bucket of it?

8. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    We used the vinegar and salt mix and I just thoroughly wetted the stuff I wanted dead. If you want to get rid of a weed that's surrounded by stuff you want to keep alive then use a dampened rag or sponge and wipe it on the weed. That way you don't accidently kill wanted plants.

9. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

I'm very interested in this. RoundUp is pretty darn expensive, but it sure does work... and fast.

So my expectations are set correctly, how long until I start seeing results with this method / mixture?

If I wasn't so busy I'd do a side by side test with daily photos.... that would be so cool:

Plant 1: Controle (no killer)
    Plant 2: RoundUp
    Plant 3: Home mix

10. akyramoto

akyramoto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Northern CA
    I sprayed some plants last night with vinegar. didn't add any salt though. We'll see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by