Weed that looks like a grapevine but there's no grapes on it

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gale65, Aug 21, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

This stuff grows wild in our yard and seems to be impossible to kill. I thought it might be something to transplant around one side of the chicken run for shade but I don't know if it's safe for them to eat if it goes inside the pen. DH calls it grapevine but there are no grapes or flowers or anything on it. But it looks just like a grapevine and has the tendrils that hang onto anything in their path. Any idea what it is?

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Kudzu maybe? [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Impossible to say without a pic, but my best guess wild grapevine, which doesn't produce grapes.

4. gale65

Here are some pictures of it. In the last two you can see how it hangs onto things (that is our air conditioner unit).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Looks like my wild grapevine in SC. [​IMG] Gets all over everything and takes over.

6. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    we have them thangs all over the Park 'round here...grapeless grapes.

7. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I don't know how far north it grows, but sounds like kudzu. If it is kudzu there is nothing that will kill it or eat it. Kudzu does have yellow flowers on it I think once a year. Google kudzu or kudzu vine and see if that's it.

8. gale65

hmm if it's invasive I don't want to spread it around our place. Is there another vining plant that we can buy that would be good to plant outside the run? Something the chickens can eat safely but also something that can grow near the poop?

9. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Doesn't look like kudzu at all, it's a wild grape vine.

10. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Yeah, that doesn't look like kudzu. It does look like grapevine. Maybe you can start making grapevine wreaths [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by