Weed Trimming?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bstead24, Jul 21, 2011.

1. bstead24

bstead24 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Hi everyone.. I have my 6 week old outside in her stage 2 brooder and was wondering... I need to trim around the small run with the weed trimmer and this might be a silly question but, ... Will she be ok or will the noise stress her out to much? Thanks

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    It will scare her, loud and unknown object.

3. Gullygarden

Gullygarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    as long as they have a Box or something to hide in,mine seemed to take it in stride when we mowed and used the weedeater outside the coop. Start it up at a distance and work on something else and then gradually come closer to the coop. By the time you are up close they will be more used to it. I have 4 though.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  4. PHILMAN

PHILMAN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    It will scare her , but leave it and when shes old enough she will eat it . Mine ate all the weeds ........ AND GRASS TOO !!
    I love my chickens !!!

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    When I first mowed around the run, they quickly went into the coop and hid. But pretty soon they learned that when I mow, I throw bits of green stuff in the run. Now they line the fence when they hear the mower, just waiting.

Yes, she will be stressed out and may panic at first. But if whe can get away and hide, she should be OK. And if some of it lands in her run, she will eventually look forward to the weed-eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by