Weeder geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by KBlue, Jun 24, 2011.

1. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Do they actually do any real weeding, or do they just eat anything? It would be nice just to let them roam in your garden and have them do all the work, but I guess I'm a skeptic regarding how well they'll leave the veggie plants alone. Anybody have any experience with them?

(McMurray advertised these at one point, they probably still do. They look like mutts that have some Brown/White China thrown in there.)

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Geese will eat tender grass and they like broad leaf plants. I wouldn't count on them leaving your veggies alone. They like veggies and they like fruit.

Mine are weeding in my orchard. The apple trees are a bit big for them to munch on, although they have eaten all the peach leaves that they can reach. But they will definitely eat lettuce, spinach, melons (adore cantaloupe), and pea plants.

In a couple of years, when my plants are bigger, they will go into the berry patch after the fruit is harvested-- they really love strawberries, and I expect them to like raspberries and blueberries.

3. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Ok, thanks!

That's pretty much what I expected.

4. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    If you have baby geese they will weed better then adults as they go for the new shoots. I have Emilee my 2 week old help me in the garden and she really is help. The older geese as others have said are quite the garbage disposals. They prefer the new shoots but if none can be found, look out. What makes them "weeder" is when you have adult plants and then rows where you have hoed etc, its the small weeds that come up daily.. hourly it seems that the geese will go after. So once your plants are good and growing and the rows are where the new growth is found, thats when they are helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by