Yorkshire Coop

Kindness costs nothing ..
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Aug 16, 2014
UK 🇬🇧
My Coop
My Coop
Would Tortoise weeds/seed mix grow ok in only potting compost? Got lots of potting compost so don’t really want to be buying anything else. But will they root ok in it without being transferred to another type of compost? The potting compost is quite fine.
I’ve got 3 small window propagators so I can continuously grow spacing the sowing out in each propagator.
The weed/seed mix contains ~
Whilst the mix of seeds may vary it will typically include Dandelion, Smooth Hawks Beard, Nipplwort, Chicory, Smoth Sow Thistle, Great Plantain, Hoary Plantain, Ribwort Plantain, Common Mallow, Musk Mallow, Dwarf Mallow, Shepherds Purse, Hairy Bittercress, Wavy Bittercress, White/ Dutch Clover, Red Clover, Common Vetch, Sainfoin, Creeping Bell Flower, Field Bindweed and Hedge Mustard!

Field bindweed! Run, don't walk, to the nearest way to get those seeds far far from you, hopefully to never sprout. But don't drop them! That is one horrible invasive weed.

Some of those have pretty long taproots, the depth of your pot may make a difference in how they grow if you leave them in there for a while. A lot of those I'm not familiar with but many look like perennials, not annuals, I'd expect a lot of taproots.

From a nutritional aspect, I'd think the potting compost would work fine. Even if it were a starting mix as opposed to a potting mix I'd think it would be OK. To me the biggest challenge in growing in a pot is to keep the moisture level right.

Field bindweed! Run, don't walk, to the nearest way to get those seeds far far from you, hopefully to never sprout. But don't drop them! That is one horrible invasive weed.

Wow the start of your post really scared me! :lol: They will certainly not be leaving the confines of my kitchen or the propagator! The only place they will be going is into the tortoise’s food dish then his mouth!

Thank you for the info on the taproots. My little propagator’s seem to have quite a deep base so maybe they should be ok for those roots? I will get a pic tomorrow.
I’m more than expecting my first attempt to be a bit hit & miss until I get the knack of what they fully require. But fingers crossed I get at least a few sprigs of something to grow!

Wow the start of your post really scared me! :lol: They will certainly not be leaving the confines of my kitchen or the propagator! The only place they will be going is into the tortoise’s food dish then his mouth!
Thank goodness for that I loate bindweed it spoils my summer and has had me in tears of frustration - I think we are making better inroads with our Knotweed than that stuff!
If you find the root thing an issue I have been using fabulous milk bottle mini-greenhouses - that would give you more depth.

@PouleChick You need a tortoise to eat it all off!! Crikey it seems this weed is a real burden! My seed packets are mixed so I couldn’t even pick the bindweed out.

Will def have a look at your milk bottle greenhouse if I get nothing from the propagator, thank you :)

@PouleChick You need a tortoise to eat it all off!! Crikey it seems this weed is a real burden! My seed packets are mixed so I couldn’t even pick the bindweed out.

Will def have a look at your milk bottle greenhouse if I get nothing from the propagator, thank you :)
Inside use:
https://preparednessmama.com/milk-jug-greenhouse/
Outdoor:
https://gardening.knoji.com/how-to-start-garden-seeds-outside-using-a-milk-jug-greenhouse/

I've had great success doing my seed planting in the depths of winter and you end up with hardy little seedlings if they are outside.

I have actually got something to sprout!!! :lol: Given my track record of being totally hopeless at growing anything I’m quite impressed at getting even this far! I sowed the seeds on Monday and popped it in my kitchen window & noticed some growth this morning :clap
1EB5D027-5624-4CDA-9244-3EDBC2803962.jpeg

31754382-837C-4257-9C47-59A234FB6F7A.jpeg

How much further on I will get on I just don’t know!

Back
Top Bottom