Week 2 and AC went out in house

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fowl Visions, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Fowl Visions

Fowl Visions Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Keystone Heights, FL
    My AC went down yesterday and it is messing with the temps and humidity in my incubator. I'm able to control the temperature by keeping a close watch on it but how do you control the humidity when the humidity in the house is running at 70%?

Right now the humidity is at 50%. The next few hours will be the hottest time of the day and the most humid. Thankfully at night we got down to 70 and I was able to get the humidity in the incubator down to 44%.

Any ideas on how to lower humidity in incubator? I'm using a LG 9200.

2. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

put dehumidifier inside the bator. that's called silica gel or what if i'm not wrong, round object colored that can absorb humidity, very2 cheap.

3. acdoc

acdoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    shenadoah valley
    if you didnt mind the extra heat you could set up a small plug in heater with a small fan in front of it.
    I dont know if that would hurt the incubation process because i have never done it,but it would lower the humidity in a small space.

4. acdoc

Jul 14, 2009
    shenadoah valley
    what is wrong with your ac

5. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Dealing with the same thing here! I put in an open container of sand and 3 silica gel packs we had from our med bottles. Our humidity in the bator has been hovering right at 60% even with the silica gel. I might be tempted to put in one of the desiccator blocks from hubby's Dri-N-Store hearing aid thing, but I'm afraid of how much moisture it will pull out.

Looks like it will be a full week before the part comes in to fix it too so I'm looking for other ideas as well to help for the rest of the week. How long until your AC can get fixed?

6. Fowl Visions

Fowl Visions Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Keystone Heights, FL
    Quote:I have no idea. It went out yesterday. I've got a service call scheduled tomorrow so we will see. The worst part is I was supposed to go buy some show Brahmas today but now I'm afraid to spend the money not knowing how much the repairs are gonna cost. If it was up to me I would do without the AC and go get the chickens but the rest of the family doesn't agree.[​IMG]

7. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Quote:[​IMG] I can't figure why hubby needs the air on either... it's only supposed to be in the upper 90's this week. At least it's not close to 108 like it was the last time we had issues with the AC unit. Though it would be nice to sleep at night and not sweat to death [​IMG]

8. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] I can't figure why hubby needs the air on either... it's only supposed to be in the upper 90's this week. At least it's not close to 108 like it was the last time we had issues with the AC unit. Though it would be nice to sleep at night and not sweat to death [​IMG]

Do you know how to check the coils? We ran window units for 4 months and all ours needed was the coils cleaned. Cost us 107.00 to clean the coils, but cost us almost 400 a month to run the window units.

You can get one of those portable ac units and put it in the room with the bator.

My bator spike to 100.6 to 101.00 last night so I probably fried mine.

9. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Ours is the computer board that tells the external unit to run. We had a thunder storm Friday night so we figure it was fried by a power surge, there are a few spots that look like it was scorched. Our local AC guy who lives a few blocks over took a look at it, told us what we need to order since he's not that brand dealer and refused to charge us a dime for looking it over on a Sunday morning. The internal unit is only 10 years old but the unit outside looks ancient
    We clean coils every spring and fall, too many cats/dogs not to [​IMG] Learned our lesson the hard way 3 years ago on that one!!

If we could afford a portable unit we would have gotten one today! Instead we borrowed a ton of fans. I turned the light off in the bator and we are holding at 100 so far.
    I wouldn't count your hatch as fried yet!! (I'm not, still movement in the egg I checked and we spiked to 104 last night) There is always hope until you candle and confirm any deaths!

10. acdoc

Jul 14, 2009
    shenadoah valley
    I wish we had some of those 100 degree temps here. we have been lucky to get out of the 80's

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by