Week 2: My Chicks (random frizzle wing?)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cab the Mane, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Cab the Mane

Cab the Mane Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Cookie, the "Barred Rock" I bought from the hatchery has one poorly barred regular side:
    [​IMG]

And one barely barred.... Frizzle side?!
    [​IMG]

They just keep growing in like that... so odd!

Here are the more averagely-feathered girls!

Belle, who is a very curious speckled sussex who cant stop looking for things to investigate even for one picture(There was a speck on the blanket just offscreen.) She's very friendly!
    [​IMG]

Poppy, the most docile bird I've ever seen, who will gladly lay about in our hands... or really anywhere you want her too. She and belle are our sweetest!
    [​IMG]

Nessa, the other "barred rock," has much more convincing bars, and no curls. She is a bit more trusting than cookie, and is a sucker for treats and acrobatics. She does not, however, like the thing I'm pointing at her.
    [​IMG]

Though smaller than the others now, Liz'bitt is a Jersey Giant, and is supposed to get big... We shall see. She is very nice and seems to act with almost as much reserve as poppy, but is a fair bit faster(and thus loves playing keep-away before submitting to the Great Hand's schemes.)
    [​IMG]

Obviously, they're hatchery quality... but have any of you seen those random curly feathers before? and any guesses if "98% pullets" turned out well for me?

2. jinxschuh

jinxschuh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Northern Utah
    I'm curious if the other chicks are bullying the first one with the akward looking feathers...? I ended up with two roosters in a batch of 9 chicks labeled pullets... sigh... (one of them was a different breed that belonged to my neighbor that I was just fostering with my chicks for her to add to her full grown flock) and the younger of the roo's (mine) had weird twisted feathers, missing feathers and I realized the older roo (maybe 2-3 days older) was bullying the smaller one and actually plucking his feathers and they were growing back random and twisted. The older roo went home several weeks ago and my younger roo has yet to grow in normal, full feathers along his wings.

3. Cab the Mane

Cab the Mane Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Actually, Cookie is extremely dominant. I think the curled feathers may have originally gotten her some unwanted attention at first, and she set the rest of them straight... Because the same day she got the curls, she became number 1. Just goes to show you how random the pecking order can be [​IMG]

I have no idea what could have led to the weird feathering on only one side though... its so bizzare... I wonder if her body will end up half and half or even out after the next molt....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by