Week 4 I Need Help!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RoosterRidge, Oct 10, 2011.

1. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    I Need Some Suggestions Please. I Have 2 Hens That Will Not Leave The Coop Unless I Physically Make Them. They Are Laying An Egg Each Day Then They Move Into The Nesting Boxes Where The Other Hens Have Laid Their Eggs. When I Make Them Go Outside They Act Like I Am Going To Hurt Them. After A Few Minutes They Seem To Start To Act Like Normal. One Will Actually Lay Her Head Over Like I Am Breaking Her Heart When I Take The Eggs From Her. Both Make Noise Like Crazy When I Or The Other Hens Enter The Coop. What Can I Do To Stop This, We Don't Want To Have Young Ones When Cold Weather Is Right Around The Corner. I Give Them Treats And Such But I Have To Do So In The Nesting Boxes. Is There Anything I Can Do To Help Them End Their Broodiness.

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Give them a fake egg so they are not so upset. Treat them with a special food they like to bait them out.

3. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    Quote:Thank you so much for replying... They lay an egg each day and then leave it to go sit on the other girls eggs... How long does this last? They look healthy otherwise and I have been giving them treats in the nesting box... I will definately try to lure them out of the box with treats now... It really is heartbreaking when she makes that crying sound... The other one just fusses and then squats back down... [​IMG]

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    If they are broody, I have heard many solutions....dunk their bottoms in cold water...suspend them in a wire cage above the ground so cool air can get their bottoms etc...check the site, there are some good solutions out there. I haven't had this happen yet...

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I am sure your birds all have there own different sounds like mine do. Under the stress of laying an egg they make their own special squawk!! I'm sure of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by