1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Week and a half old chick is fairly aggressive, any worries?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MistyMountain, Aug 30, 2013.

1. MistyMountain

MistyMountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    One of my week old chicks will charge out of the group hiding in the corner of the brooder whenever I put my hand down to change water or clean things up. Sometimes it even pecks me. Is this something I should worry about as it gets older? Is this one going to be bossy... or could early Rooster protection tendencies be showing up already? I believe this one is an EE, yellow chick, darker spot on it's head, olive legs. I am *supposed* to have all girls, with a toss up on the free straight run exotic that was tossed in. Is there anything I can do now to prevent an overly bold chicken when it grows up?

2. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    She/he just might be very curious and pecking may be more of a learning what things are (and if it can be eaten) than aggression. I wouldn't be worried. [​IMG]

3. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    I'd just try to socialize that chick more, pick it up a lot & get it used to human contact. I've had a few that behaved like that but none of them grew up to be aggressive. Most of the time when chicks are pecking, it's out of curiosity rather than aggression [​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

When it charges you, pick it up gently and hold it down on the ground with your hands, so that it sits there with your hands covering it for several seconds. Then release it. You have just shown it that you are the top hen.

This works for adult hens also. A hen never allows another hen to charge it or peck it without returning a demonstration of being higher on the pecking order, unless she is lower on the pecking order.

5. MistyMountain

MistyMountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    Thanks everyone! I will give it more attention and see how things go. I just want to make sure I stay on top of things as I have two young children and an aggressive chicken won't stand a chance around here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by