week chick what do I do???

senrabruk

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
CA
I just got my first batch of chick today!!
But lost one on the trip and one is now week what can I do to help the little guy???

Try some vitamins/electrolites in the chick's drinking water. That might help. Also, be extra careful to make sure that chick in particular stays warm. A little bit of chopped boiled egg is good for a weak chick.

Good luck to you. Don't take it too hard if your little chick doesn't make it. That does happen quite often with chicks. Sometimes, they just have something internally wrong, and they just pass, and you never know why.

Crossing my fingers for you!

Sharon

Sometimes they hatch with a bacterial infection which can make them weak. I have saved a few of these types of chicks by giving them (carefully) droplets of warm sugar-water to wake them up and raise their blood sugar, but this can drown them if you are not careful. I held the chick under a warm light, and using an eyedropper, gave one drop at a time to the side/tip of the beak while it was closed. You have to be careful not to put the droplet anywhere near it's nostrils. If you put water into the open mouth of a bird, it can drown. Therefore, I put the droplet on the side of the beak near the tip, where the crack is, while the beak is shut. The water seeps in, and the chick swallows. I do this over and over, carefully and slowly, allowing the chick to swallow each drop before giving the next drop. I give a few drops every 15-30 minutes, keeping the chick in a warm brooder in between. I also administer one drop of antibiotic twice a day for a few days, in case it's sick from bacterial infection (which they can get sick from while still in the egg). I only give the sugar-water mixture for a couple of hours, then I switch to something nutritious such as Kaytee Exact Hand feeding formula for baby parrots. This formula is very good for giving semi-liquid nutrition to seed-eating types of birds. I mix the powder with warm water to proper consistency (about the consistency of yogurt) and give droplets of that to the chick until it can begin to eat on it's own. While it's lying in the brooder (in between hand feedings), I put it's usual chick starter in front of it, along with a jar-lid of water. Make sure the chick cannot fall face-first into the water and drown. If it is weak enough to do that, don't put water anywhere near it--give it hand-feedings instead. If you dote on the chick frequently, keeping it warm while hand feeding it (don't let it ever get chilled), then it might pull through.
Wishing you much good luck!
Ellen J.

Thank you soo much!!
she is doing much better now
clap.gif

you both are sooo helpful!!!

Back
Top Bottom