Week old baby chick bonded too well to me. What do I do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sutillman, Feb 15, 2013.

1. sutillman

sutillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
    Ok, here's my dilemma. I hatched a lone chick last week (had 20 for a friend) and I have been holding it a lot. Well the poor thing thinks I'm it's Mama and cheeps loudly when it has to get back in the tub brooder. It hollered half the night last night. I even put it in the bed with me.(Husbands suggestion) I was afraid I would smother it so I put it back in the tub. Well at midnight I couldn't stand it anymore and moved the tub to the other end of the house. I have tried stuff toys, clothing with my scent on it. Nothing else has worked. I am borrowing a chick from a neighbor that I hatched for him at the same time to see if that helps. Any other suggestions?

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    try a mirror, make sure it has proteins, meat scraps and yolk.

3. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I took one of my socks (dirty) filled it with rice and popped it in the microwave, it gets toasty and is squishy enough for the little fella to lay on. Then cover it with a piece of fabric to simulate a mother's wing. Worked for my lonely chick, good luck :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  4. heronz

heronz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    That happened to me once and it's heartbreaking.
    I went to craigslist and found some exactly the same age(they were roosters)-and I didn't care.
    The baby cried itself almost to death.
    I'd get at least 3 others.
    If you can.

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    6 weeks ago I had one chick hatch out- luckly I had a silk broody and she took over in the evenings indoors in a box, in the day I had a mirror and toys, and ceramic ducks, after 2 weeks- (I wanted to make sure the chick was eating and strong) I set up an cabinet outdoors with a SECURED clamp lamp and they were happy I just moved them to a dog kennel so they would have more room with hanging lamp. (set up safely.) I have more hatching this week, incubator. I will feed them strong during the day and they will sleep with broody in box at night till they are old enough to go to out door set up.

Have you thought about checking around for a broody? if you have he in a dark box you can slip her under the broody at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by