Week old baby chick dead

kimbo1293

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
I have numerous week old baby chicks. Everyone was fine when we went to bed last night. Woke up this morning and one is dead. Any ideas?

Could it have gotten chilled?

Did you notice any marks or injuries on it?

Sometimes, this does happen, and you never figure out what went wrong. Could have been something internal that didn't develop properly.

Everything OK with all the others then? Poop looking OK? Are they eating and drinking and active?

I'm just trying to think of things to look for......

Sharon

How many is numerous? What is the setup like? Sometimes if there a many chicks that get chilled they will all go to the portion of the brooder with the light and one or two chicks can get smothered? How many lights do you have? Is the light situated in the center of the brooder or a corner?

There were no obvious injuries. All the others seem to be doing fine. They are eating, drinking, and running around. I have one little one that must be a day or two younger or is just a run that we have been keeping an eye on, but the one that died was not the little one.

We have 28 chicks. They are indoors in a cardboard box. The vox is about 2 1/2 feet wide by 6 feet long. The light is at one end and the temp at the light stays around 95 degrees. The last few days the chicks have been sleeping at the end of the box away from the light. The chick that was dead was in the middle of the box when we found it this morning.

I agree with Sharon, your setup is good and if the chick was in the middle, well who knows? I am sorry about your chick, I think that is the hardest thing when one dies and you just don't know why!

Thank you for posting and your replies. I am a newby backyard chicken mom & we got 10 2 week old chicks on Wednesday. This morning, all 10 were fine and chirping about. I just went to check on them and one of my girls was dead. I don't know the reason, and obviously, I may never know. I have a heat lamp on them and fresh food and water. i guess it just "one of those things". again, thank you for helping us out with your posts & replies!
Kelly

Thank you for posting and your replies. I am a newby backyard chicken mom & we got 10 2 week old chicks on Wednesday. This morning, all 10 were fine and chirping about. I just went to check on them and one of my girls was dead. I don't know the reason, and obviously, I may never know. I have a heat lamp on them and fresh food and water. i guess it just "one of those things". again, thank you for helping us out with your posts & replies!
Kelly
The post you are replying to is from 2012. You might get more replies if you start a new thread! :)

Back
Top Bottom