Week old baby chick not thriving

chickohroo

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Hi there! Our family recently received 16 baby chicks by mail order. They were all vaccinated for Cocci and Mareks disease at the hatchery. ALL seemed to be doing just fine until I found one of our little dark brahmas with a pasty butt. I cleaned her off really well and put her back with the rest of the flock. Yesterday morning I noticed she was quite a bit smaller than the others and keeping to herself. We kept a close eye on her and ending up pulling her over to a hospital brooder as she wasn't acting like her brooder mates. She was slow to respond and could barely stand. We helped her drink fresh water that had Quik Chik mixed in for the first part of the day and then last night and today she has been able to stand on her own and drink freely. I even mixed in a bit of our local honey in her water last night. She seemed to really like that and was spunkier afterwards. She seems to be thirsty when presented with water, but we have to take her over to her water though... she doesn't seem to have motivation to get up and just go. After she drinks, she wobbles over to her food and will eat and then seems to just tucker out. She doesnt move around a lot at all, but seems to be able to stand okay for a limited time. I checked her out and didn't see any signs of leg splay or injury either. She responds well to me by making happy chick sounds when I gently love on her with my finger. She only cheeps loudly if she is out of the warmth of her home for a bit. She is pooping normal and her poo doesn't appear to have any blood in it or isn't runny. We have only fed them chick starter feed (non medicated), started baby grit and offered a chunk of grass with dirt for play and scratch. They are bedded on pine shavings. They all drink fresh water with the Quik Chik also.

I'm wondering if she could have just been smaller from the beginning and late to the water hole/food bowl kinda thing? Or if she was possibly injured by a one of her brooder buddies? We did have a pretty aggressive brooder bully (a light brahma female) in the very beginning. We have her pulled off in a separate area inside the brooder. She has windows to view everyone and they can see her, but she can't get to them. She wasn't just pecking but pulling feathers out- at 3 days old!! I tried to reintroduce her only to have the same result. :( Waiting a few more days and will retry. Perhaps the light brahma stressed the lil dark brahma out??

My possible ideas:
Mail order/shipping stress?
Brooder bully stress?
Injury?
Almost certain it isn't cocci.
Perhaps she is sick from her vaccine of Marek's?? IF they were all vaccinated, cocci or marek's should NOT be an issue if they are kept in clean dry conditions right?

Your time and thoughts are GREATLY appreciated.
Blessings!

Last edited:

chickohroo

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Bumping this post to hopefully get thoughts from others...

The little chick is still dottling along. She is almost (almost being a big stretch) 1/2 the size of her brooder mates and is still eating, drinking, pooping, and standing unsteadily for small amounts of time.

I'm beginning to wonder if a mercy cull is necessary for her sake. There aren't any apparent signs of her suffering, but how do you really know if they are or aren't ya know. My heart is torn because I'm not sure if she'll come back and begin growing or will eventually die naturally.

Any thoughts or similar stories shared greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom