week old baby chicks - Do I need to change their shavings?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by McGoo, Apr 18, 2008.

1. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

On day 2 or 3 I put them in a tub with pine shavings. They've been doing very well in there. Should I be changing the shavings? IF so, how often?

I also read that when cleaning out their waterer, that I should clean it with bleach and water. Isn't that a bit much? Maybe soap and water?

I want them to be healthy and build up their own immunities, and no I don't want them to live in filth.

Is there a happy medium?

Thanks all!

2. mandomama

mandomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    corvallis oregon
    Good question. I have been taking about 1/2 of the shavings out and replacing them, stirring them up real good, about once a week. I still keep a papertowel on a board that I keep the waterer on. I change that a couple of times a week, maybe more. I hope I am doing alright!

3. zippychickens

zippychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    N. CA
    I had 16 chicks and I changed the shavings every other day for the first 2 weeks and then moved them into a bigger brooder and changed the shavings every 4 days.
    As far as water, I just rinse the waterer every time I fill it. Sometimes I swish it was a brush.

4. McGoo

Well, I guess I'll need to change out the shavings soon! thanks.

5. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 16 (6 three weekers and 10 one weekers) in a 6x3ft. brooder. I only change the shavings once a week. I give it a good stir once a day, add a little every couple days, and I have no smell at all.

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I have done the same! Just clean when they get stinky! Your nose will let you know when to clean them! [​IMG]

7. zippychickens

zippychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    N. CA
    wow, I must have really messy birds! I had to clean much more often, the shavings would get soaked with their water and they would scratch down to the newspaper lining and get it all mixed up. luckily, I moved them out to the run yesterday and they love it. much more room.

8. McGoo

Well, it's all about the set-up too. I had the water problem, but ended up building a shelf that doesn't have shavings on it so that they don't spill the water and they don't scratch all the shavings into the water. And mine have a good size plastic tub which I've got about 3inches of shavings and no newspaper or other paper.

I do have a perch and a little ramp. Boy do they like to fly and play! They're so much fun to watch.

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I would clean the shavings out once a week. Scoop the poo and fluff it every other day and add a bit of fresh shavings.

As to cleaning the waterer...use warm soap and water, rinse well and add a 1/4 tsp of apple cider vinegar to the water. It will not hurt them and is good for killing bacteria. Just rinse well with normal refilling.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by