Week old baby silkie is constipated =(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by undine, Aug 23, 2013.

1. undine

undine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    My baby silkie is active as ever. Although when i see her trying to poop(the little chicken butt waddle dance, and with her wings stretched back) NOTHINGG COMESSSS OUTT. I saw it happen this morning, and was starting to worry so i sat there watching her until she had finally pooped after many tries (i waited 30 minutes.) I fed her some yogurt, hoping itll help her digest her food and what nots. Its during the evening now and shes still doing it =( Ive only seen her pooped a few times today, and they were these little skinny swirly poopies. Is she constipated? Whats wrong with her? She dosent have pasty butt. Her crop area looks bloated too o_o it isnt hard. kind of airy with chick feed and yogurt,

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Make sure the heat lamp temperature isn't too high. Dehydration from too much heat can cause constipation. If she's not pasted up she is probably fine.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

x2

4. undine

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Word =( It has been getting pretty humid here so ive been letting them go without the lamp. She just pooed around 10 minutes ago. I had to pick out all the wood shavings off and i was left with this.. strand of hard dark poo, and with some kind of elastic thick slimy mucus membrane attached to it o_o Ill post a picture.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

6. undine

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    LOL ughhh maybe using flash wasnt such an awesome idea. Shouldve taken the pic under a light without flash, but the spork is already in the trash :(. See the mustardy sticky slime thats like just sticking itself to the spork, and that forest green hard poo that didnt even smear after i gave it a little pressure from a toothpick.
    [​IMG]

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    They do need some heat at a week old since they don't have feathers. They should have at least 80-85 degree temps. Are they inside or out? Cold can cause constipation also. A drop or two of molasses might get her going.

8. undine

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Thanks =)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by