Week old Brahma chick listless and breathing hard- please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicknmama, Jul 6, 2010.

1. chicknmama

chicknmama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2010
    We have week old baby chicks. This Brahma chicken is my son's. The Brahma has been weak and standing in one spot since this morning. Yesterday she was fine. They are kept in a brooder at night with a light. They are eating chicken starter, new bag. With the 90 degree heat wave we have had them outside in a nice rabbit hutch during the day and inside in the brooder at night. Up until this morning she was eating and drinking fine. She just stands in one place and seems to be breathing hard. When I listen to her chest I hear a clicking noise. There is no discharge from eyes or nose. She has pooped a yellow runny poop. She had pasty butt when she was two days old. The other chicks are behaving fine.

I've started them on electrolytes and vitamins and duramycin 10, I've added acidophilus as a probiotic. Should I do anything else? Was this the right thing to do? This is the first time we've had chickens. We have 2 barred plymouth rocks, one red star, one dominique and the brahma.

I really appreciate all the knowledge on this board.
    Beth

2. chicknmama

Jun 29, 2010
    does anyone have any ideas about my sick chick? Please?

3. Miss Sebright

Miss Sebright Little Hen.....Big Attitude!

Apr 3, 2009
    In a nutshell
    Could it possibly be mareks? Sorry that I don't know more, Good luck! [​IMG]

4. chicknmama

Jun 29, 2010
    We had them vaccinated for mareks when we purchased them. Can a chick still get mareks after being vaccinated? Please, any help would be appreciated. It's alful watching it.

5. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Is she eating or drinking at all? You might try holding her and dribbling a drop or two of the vitamin and electrolyte water along the side of her beak to see if she will take it in.

6. chicknmama

Jun 29, 2010
    She will drink if I put her beak in the water with electrolytes, but won't eat. I checked on her an hour ago and dipped her beak again. She has diarhea. I don't know if I'm dipping her beak too often, but I'm worried she'll get dehydrated.

I made some scrambled eggs and moistened and warm some of the crumbles. The other chicks are eating that but she wont eat, and she wont drink unless i dip her beak. She's stumbling a bit when she's moved now too. And she wont lay down. She just falls asleep while standing and her head falls to the ground. I'm still very worried and don't know what else to do.

7. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    What are you using for bedding - ?? Cedar can be toxic and cause breathing issues.
    I wish I could help -
    Did she eat something that got stuck ? Is her crop OK - it should feel smushy - not hard. eat something that needs grit to help digest ? (most anything other than chick crumbles)
    I hope someone on here has some better info ..... I haven't run into much that's need treating [​IMG] other than bird lice so don't have any first-hand experience with trying things or what works best.
    [​IMG]

8. chicknmama

Jun 29, 2010
    For bedding we're using paper towels, changed often. Since this is our first time with chickens I don't know what's wrong. I''ve been reading everything I can to try to figure this out.This site is very informative and I just don't know whats wrong. I feel like I'm doing everything I can but I dont' want the other chicks to get this and she's not getting better.

9. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    So sorry for this problem--It sounds like you are giving very good, appropriate care based on careful study. [​IMG]

10. chicknmama

Jun 29, 2010
    Thank you for your help everyone. I checked her crop and it feels soft. We do offer grit because we have them outside free range during the day when we are outside with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by