Week Old Call Duck Problem

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jeepchick, Jul 21, 2011.

1. jeepchick

jeepchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Loudon, New Hampshire
    I have 4 new Call Ducklings. They are 5 days old and I bought them 3 days ago. Up until this afternoon they were fine and energetic and even splashing in the water but I went to check them today with this darn heat and one of them was laying on her back. I picked her up and figured she was too warm and stuck her little feet in the water and made sure she took a drink. I came back about an hour later and she was laying belly down with her legs straight back behind her and her head back like she was looking at the ceiling. I brought her inside where it was cool and the other babies wouldn't be stepping on her and she was dead about an hour later. They are eating the chick starter for game birds...the one with 24% protein, have fresh water twice a day, pine shavings in the brooder box. There is no sign of bugs or other pests in the brooder or on any of the chicks. She has been in the brooder box with my other 3 new call ducks, 2 two week old call ducks and my 2 week old polish chicks. Today I offered them all watermellon as a snack and to stay hydrated. None of the other chicks or ducks seem to be showing any symptoms of any illness or problems.

Any ideas what could have happened to her? Is there something that I have described in her enviroment that is not OK for ducks or I can do better? This is my first duck experience and am quickly falling in love with them (don't tell the chickens) [​IMG]

2. anaiyuk

anaiyuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    I don't believe it to be breed specific. Ducks hide illness well, most of the time until it's to late. It's heart breaking but it's also nature. Don't worry to much that you can't enjoy the ones that you still have. [​IMG]

3. duck15

duck15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    she is just stretching

4. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    What it sounds like to me is the older ones trampled it! When raising calls you cant raise a day old with a 2 week old or with 2 week old chicks(they can torture younger birds) either. Call ducks are very fragile and are easily hurt. you need to separate the youngest from the oldest, leave them with there own age groups. When they are feathering out at about 4 to 6 weeks then you can introduce them together.

5. anaiyuk

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    How are the others?

6. jeepchick

jeepchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Loudon, New Hampshire
    Quote:Not just stretching....she was most certanly dead.

Everyone else is still doing grea t[​IMG] all super healthy and energetic! Wow do they grow fast too.

7. anaiyuk

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    i am glad to hear things are going a little better for you! I hope to have some little ducklings running around my yard soon as well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by