Liza728w

Songster
Jul 22, 2020
Southern Ohio
I have 3 call ducklings that are a week old.

Today I noticed they are laying down a lot more than normal, away from heat source. I have it set at 85 with a thermometer. Too hot? I'm not sure.

They are fed purina duck starter w a protein level of 19%. They have a small bath in their enclosure that is filled with probably 2 inches of distilled water, they can easily get in and out. They don't they stay in for too long but they like to get in multiple times every day. I change food and water twice a day. Everything is kept clean.

They came out a couple times today, once to forage in my front yard for a while and just being held the other times.

Any clue as to why they are resting a lot today? Just growing? Too hot? I picked up one of the ducklings and it seemed like she was burning up a bit. I could feel she was hot laying in my hand. I turned off their heat for the time being to watch them.

Attachments

• 20200729_163839.jpg
    20200729_163839.jpg
    766.9 KB · Views: 23
Aren't your ducklings the lucky ones - am also in awe of your skills in keeping everything clean !

I would suggest its hot - also growing, peeping and being excited can be very tiring !

Does the duck starter have a decent hit of Niacin in it ?

Sometimes I add honey and ACV to their water as a 'tonic' but I suspect yours are just chillin' !

Aren't your ducklings the lucky ones - am also in awe of your skills in keeping everything clean !

I would suggest its hot - also growing, peeping and being excited can be very tiring !

Does the duck starter have a decent hit of Niacin in it ?

Sometimes I add honey and ACV to their water as a 'tonic' but I suspect yours are just chillin' !

Thank you! And yep! The duck starter has niacin in it already. It says 25mg/lb. They ended up getting up and moving around more after an hour or so had passed since I posted. I'm sure they were just hot or tired. They had a long day yesterday. Sometimes it's hard being a duckling. ;)

Back
Top Bottom