Week old chick acting strange

tamanda003

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 26, 2014
I have a chick that is just over a week old. She has acted a bit off compared to the others all along. At first I just thought she had a good/calm temperament. Now I am becoming concerned. She is chirping much more often than the others. She walks around confused. Today I put her down gently on her back and she could not right herself. She is not growing. Only a few feathers have started coming in, which in comparison to her hatch mates looks like nothing. It seems that the others are always picking on her. She has had pasty butt, but I watch to take care of that, so I know she must be eating/pooping some. This is my 4th year of chick raising so I am not entirely a newbie.

I honestly thought she may be blind, but have seen her peck at others. So I am not sure. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Is she able to find the food and water and eat/drink by herself or are you having to feed her?

She can find it eventually on her own, however she circles around it like she is confused.

No. I am feeding them a grower feed that is made by my local feed store. Everyone else is growing and acting well, so I didn't think it was the food. I have probiotics and electrolytes. Should I try adding them to the water?

I would!

Sometimes they aren't meant to make it though..

Give her the electrolytes and see iff see perks up.
Best wishes...

I would!

Sometimes they aren't meant to make it though..

Give her the electrolytes and see iff see perks up.
Best wishes...

Thank you! I have started them all on electrolytes and shall see. Of all the chicks, my son had really attached to this one. Named her Saturn because of her colors and his new learning of space. Hope she pulls thru!

Back
Top Bottom