Week old chick crowing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by woman_in_shoe, Jul 5, 2010.

1. woman_in_shoe

woman_in_shoe Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    Is it possible that a chick that hatched 7 days ago could possibly already be trying to crow? One of my little Black Copper Maran/Ameraucana chicks to stood up tall like a little rooster and made what sounded like an immature but very distinct little crow. Is this possible or was I imagining it? This is my very first experience with chicks and so do not know what is normal and what isn't.

2. KingSpeck

KingSpeck Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    I had one that started crowing at two weeks. It was pathetic but cute nonetheless. He was in our kitchen in the brooder so every morning we were woken up to his squeak-gurgle-squack! He's 6 weeks now and is definately the man in charge.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Ha ... That's nothing! I had a 1 day old chick crow and it turned out to be a rooster. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. woman_in_shoe

woman_in_shoe Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    This little guy's wing and tail feathers are also shorter than most of the rest of the brood. Did some reading that suggested that roosters had shorter wing feathers???? If this is the case with our gang, then we may have lucked out and only gotten 2 roosters out of a brood of 7.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by