Week old chick - failure to thrive

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenaddicted, May 30, 2010.

1. chickenaddicted

chickenaddicted Hatching

Mar 19, 2010
    We picked up 6 chicks last Tuesday. 5 have noticeably grown. All are eating/drinking but the 6th little chick has remained small. She has also started tripping over and seems to shake slightly. She is always the one that seems most sleepy and has eyes closed. I'm assuming she's going to die after watching this for the last 2 days. My husband kept saying she might bounce back but imho she's getting worse.
    I'm not sure if I should allow her more time or put her down now.
    Is it ok to leave her as is if she continues to drink and eat?

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Crowing 11 Years

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Neurological issues seem to be common in young birds, we have had a couple of young birds with similar things in the past. Might be Marek's, but probably not. Try giving the chick some extra vitamins in her food, some Aviacharge or some other avian vitamins preferably or if not a couple of drops of baby vitamins in the water. Wouldn't be a bad idea to separate her from the others, just in case they pick on her, or in case it is something contagious. Also if I were you I would contact the people you bought the chicks from and tell them what's going on, see if they will tell you if they've had any illness issues with their birds.

3. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Songster

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I agree with giving the little one some vitamins and separating her from the rest, at least temporarily. Poly-vi-sol without iron, which is available at Walgreen's or WalMart, or probably anywhere else, just a few drops dribbled along the side of the beak so that the baby can take them in without aspirating, should do the trick. Has little bird been drinking and feeding? I had a bird that was doing what yours is doing, and in her case, she was being jostled away from the food and drink by the other, slightly larger birds, and it happened more and more as the other birds got bigger, but she stayed small. The poly-vi-sol really jump started her. If the issue is disease, or a neurological problem it probably will not help, but it won't hurt her. Good luck with your little one.

4. chicknmania

chicknmania Crowing 11 Years

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Yes, I forgot to mention the no iron vitamins. That is important. Dribbling on the beak works, if she won't drink. I always think poultry vitamins are better, worth the cost.

5. chickenaddicted

chickenaddicted Hatching

Mar 19, 2010
    Thank you for the input. I went out and bought the no iron polyvitamins. I am not near to a store today for specialty avian ones so will try this. Better than nothing. Hopefully it will help her perk up. If not then I hope her passing if that is what is to come is quick.

6. chickenaddicted

chickenaddicted Hatching

Mar 19, 2010
    Well, lil chick died this afternoon. I tried her with the vitamins yesterday and today but was never 100% sure how much she got in as she was pretty lethargic. Her stumbling and sleepiness continued until she just passed on.

The remaining 5 seem fine. I hope it wasn't something contagious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: