week old chick not standing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenfish, Sep 16, 2010.

1. chickenfish

chickenfish Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    chick will not stand for long does not seem to put weight on leg.
    this is since last night. was fine yesterday. is it possible she injured her leg while running in the brooder?
    any suggestion on how to seperate her from the others. any thoughts or recommendations

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    What type of chick is it? If it's a meat chick, it's legs just might be giving out. Is there any way you can isolate it in a shoe box or something of that sort? I would give her some electrolytes/vitamins to give her a little extra boost for whatever reason she's hurt. But definitely getting her seperated for now would be best...you don't want her getting trampled.

3. chickenfish

Aug 23, 2010
    thanks
    she is a welsummer. we did separate her in another pen and she was stressing out serioulsy. put another chick with her and they both were stressing. so we put them back in the same enclosure but just separated her with a mesh barrier. she can see them whick seems to quiet her down. but her breathing appears labored. she is eating and drinking. this i our firs clutch and i am worried

4. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Sounds like ur doing all the right things. Just make sure she gets plenty of food & water.Might try to give her Poly vi sol w/o iron.Maybe some gatoraid for energy. [​IMG]

5. chickenfish

Aug 23, 2010
    BW..........

What is "Poly vi sol w/o iron". Sorry, I'm a newbie!

6. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    It's an infant vitamin drop...I have to get mine from behind the pharmacy counter....what they have out on the floor has iron in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by