Week old chick not thriving

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PurdysGurl, Apr 24, 2017.

1. PurdysGurl

PurdysGurl Just Hatched

Jul 17, 2016
    Happy Spring BYC!

We had so much fun starting our very first backyard flock last spring, we decided to add a few more. So the Saturday before Easter I loaded the kids into the car and off we went to the farm. We brought home two bantam cochins and an australorp. All three were active, healthy looking chicks. A few days ago we started noticing that one of the cochins kept falling over and was sleeping a lot. Now she sleeps almost constantly and often we find her on her back unable to right herself. She seems to be missing toes which might explain why she walks like a drunken sailor, however she can no longer stand up and support her own body weight. She still looks like a two day old chick! Is there anything I can do for her? I just took the following picture...

[​IMG]

TIA!

~Suzanne

2. Fbkchicks15

Fbkchicks15 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2015
    Hoover,al
    We have one doing the same. I have given her pieces of a cooked egg yolk and mixed the liquid from yogurt into her feed. Sometimes she just puts her face in the feed dish. We have now separated her so she doesnt get trampled from the others.
    Wish I had something helpful to add, but don't really.

3. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Unfortunately, some chicks suffer from "failure to thrive". This spring I had to euthanize a 5-day old chick that had similar symptoms. It was obvious that she was suffering, as she was just standing still and eating/drinking very little. Not pleasant to put a chick down, but it was worse to see her suffer.

4. PurdysGurl

PurdysGurl Just Hatched

Jul 17, 2016
    Sadly, little Turtle didn't make it. She passed in my daughters hands. [​IMG]

5. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    So sorry! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by