Week old chick & pasty butt/prolapse?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cheraboo, Sep 8, 2008.

1. cheraboo

cheraboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    We got 5 chicks from MPC last week. One of the poor babies cries sometimes but I just figured she wanted more attention. I took a closer look tonight and I think she has pasty butt/prolapse. Her bottom was dirty so I took a warm/wet paper towel and rubbed it a bit to clean off the poo. There was another spot I couldn't clean up though. It's black and sticking out just a bit. It pulses when she cries so I'm assuming it's a prolapse? I've did a search and read a lot of recommendations for pushing a prolapse in and then using some Preparation H on the area. This advice was aimed at chickens months older than this little gal. I just want to make sure it's ok to do this with one so small.

Behavior-wise she seems to be acting normally. She gets around fine but has not gained as much weight as the other chicks. I sure would appreciate any suggestions. They are eating chick starter and have plenty of water available. Temp in the brooder is about 95. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Please post a photo if you can.

For the pasty butt use warm water and wash the vent area until it is completely clean from any poop. I run a thin stream of water in the kitchen sink and rinse it away. Dry its little bottom and apply some vaseline. This way things will be less likely to stick to it and cause blockage.

You can give is 3 drops of polyvisol liquid baby vitamins by beak to give it a boost. Be careful to put the drop along the edge of the beak so it doesn't get in the nares and drown the little baby. Keep it warm.

It is not uncommon to have a sickly chick that doesn't make it. Often there is nothing you can do to save them.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

3. cheraboo

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, this a really bad pic with my phone. Still trying to download from my camera. I've got to run the kids to the dentist and will try to get the other pic posted when I get back.

**oops... I guess the pic will have to wait til I get back because I don't see a simple way to do it.

4. cheraboo

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok. I got it figured it out. I know it's not a great picture but please let me know what you think - that is, if you can tell anything. My poor little Silkie. The other three Silkies have nice fuzzy bottoms, but not this little one.

[​IMG]

5. cheraboo

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    We lost our little baby today [​IMG] I feel kind of responsible ... like I should've caught it sooner. Maybe I could've saved her ... The kids weren't too attached but Jacob's still a little upset. Just going to try to focus on the remainder of our babies. Should I contact MPC to let them know she died?

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I'm sorry to hear your baby didn't make it.

Did you order sexed pullets? If so, that is one of the problems with vent sexing bantams. They do not fair well with it and can prolapse, which is why most places won't do it. I don't think it was anything you did. Best wishes for the rest.

Jody

7. cheraboo

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    Yeah, I ordered them sexed as we aren't supposed to have roosters. Now I feel extra bad - but lesson learned [​IMG]

So do you think that looked like a prolapse?

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Sorry you lost the little chick. These things happen and there is nothing you can do to prevent it.

9. cheraboo

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    We're viewing this as a learning experence. I emailed MPC and they said they will give me a credit on my next chick order. Not sure when/if I'll be ordering again, but I thought it was a nice gesture.

10. ChicwannaB

ChicwannaB Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN
    Im seeing my first case of pasty butt too now. Just received a shipment of 18 baby Dominiques from Cackle Hatchery and one has been cleaned up 3 times now, the last time it wasn't as bad as the first two times, d oes this clear up for chicks? Or does it become life threatening??
    She tends to sleep alot and is still the smallest chick in the batch. Im worried about her getting enough nutrition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by