Week-Old Chick... Pooping from belly?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by IndyMama, Mar 3, 2015.

1. IndyMama

IndyMama New Egg

Mar 3, 2015
    I have three ten-day-old chicks. This one did not come out of her egg clean. She had that umbilical cord stump thing. I read here to leave it alone, but it's looking worse to me. She is eating, drinking and pooping from her cloaca. But it looks to me that she is also pooping from the anterior side of the umbilical stump thing. Help! What do I do?![​IMG]

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Oh, my. :( I am very sorry to see this.

I hope someone with a little more experience with chicks comes along to help.

MrsB

3. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    [​IMG] surprised she made it this far. Try to clean it off if your intent is to help her.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I am going to guess there is a hole in the intestines. And the navel healed omproperly, leaving a hole. There is no kind way that I can tell you that you need to mentally prepare yourself for the worst.

Edited: i sure hope my guess is wrong!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  5. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Get some cotton balls wet with warm saline and start trying to soften it for removal, if you want. Be very careful when you do... Pulling it off too quickly could result in disemboweling her. :(

Other than that, dabbing with iodine, anti-bacterial ointment, and applying prayer is the only other thing I can think of.

MrsB

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Have you gotten the chick cleaned up yet?

7. IndyMama

IndyMama New Egg

Mar 3, 2015
    I'm going to work on her now. I don't want to lose her!

8. IndyMama

IndyMama New Egg

Mar 3, 2015
    So, after a 20 minute soak, the clump fell off. Now, I think it was all dried poo. She is indeed, leaking poo out of her belly area. In the pic, you can see her cloaca, below that is a yellow spot, that is poo, actively leaking out. I dried her up, applied antibiotic ointment and put her back under the lamp. So, the question now is... Do I leave her and hope it closes up while keeping it clean? Do I put her out of her misery? (I'd really hate to, but I know sometimes it is best.)
    [​IMG]

9. IndyMama

IndyMama New Egg

Mar 3, 2015
    Sorry, didn't mean to post again

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  10. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    I would do as follows...Take her away from other chicks. Don't feed her. Remove water too. Make sure the environment is warm enough for her to stay dry.

You might try a clotting substance such as Wound Powder to plug the hole [​IMG]

I really encourage the removal of food. If she is going to heal, it won't happen with her processing food. Of course she'll have to heal quick or she'll starve after a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by