Week old chick refusing to eat or drink, can't balance properly?

Megalodon

Chirping
Sep 11, 2021
Hi everyone,

Have a one-week-old Barred Rock chick who absolutely refuses to eat or drink. At first, he absolutely would not eat unless I hand fed him by gently opening his mouth but has now learned to peck at the food in the bowl and eat it. But he will only peck if I gently push his head down. I have to give him water in a syringe, and he drinks fine, just refuses to do it himself? He hatched all by himself, no assistance, and slept for about 3 days. His sister hatched about 12 hours after him, and is perfectly healthy, though she did need some assistance. He is extremely small, about 38g. He has not gained any weight since birth, and that is extremely concerning. His sister is now 52g, and his feathers are quite small and underdeveloped. He can't walk properly, like he will stumble and step and peck on his own toes. He will sometimes stumble backwards and fall over. No signs of pasty butt or mushy chick. His sister will come absolutely sprinting when called, but he will just look lost and cry loudly.

Parents think I should cull, and I personally have no idea how I have kept him alive for an entire week. He has no will and no way to survive on his own, really.

Any ideas on what I can do or the problem perhaps?

Thanks

I would get some Emeraid Intensive care omnivore for the chick that isn't doing well. You can have a vet order it for you.

humidity was likely off in your brooder. Best not to incubate dirty eggs, unless they are all you have and you're trying to keep genes from one that passed in the flock.

Best wishes and I hope the little one recovers!
I would ask my vet, but I'm currently in lockdown haha, but I will try as soon as lockdown is over!

Thanks for the suggestion!

The incubator should be thoroughly cleaned between hatches with a light bleach solution or white vinegar.

Personally, I'm using distilled water in mine as distilling thoroughly sanitizes the water. You can distill water at home, but it's just easier to go buy it from the store.

Starting with clean unwashed eggs is always best though. There are sanitizing procedures for dirty eggs pre-set, but then biosecurity of the whole incubator needs to be heavily monitored after as you're washing off the bloom and the chicks can be drowned or infected in the process if done incorrectly.

Humidity sounds like it's a big issue for you - you may want to consider your incubator's location and keep an eye on egg weight.

You may need to start closing vents to keep the humidity higher. Adding more wet surface area will raise the humidity faster - like a damp sponge or towel. - just make sure not to get the eggs wet.
Thank you for your advice! You sure know your stuff! :p

Will look to closing the vents, hopefully that will keep the humidity higher. I have a sponge I'll see if I can squeeze in there.
I'm using filtered water right now, hopefully it goes alright.

I should also mention that he has no injuries that I can physically see, and he lives in a ahoe box with paper towels on the bottom. We have ordered a brooder which will be arriving next week. The box is fully breathable and temperature is about 30-31 degrees celcius. During the first 6 days, the temperature was about 35 degrees celsius.

It could be neurological or developmental issues. Just because they hatch and look okay outside, doesn't mean everything developed correctly inside.

What are the details of the hatch? Was it under a broody, incubator? We're there other eggs that were set that failed to make it to hatch?

It could be neurological or developmental issues. Just because they hatch and look okay outside, doesn't mean everything developed correctly inside.

What are the details of the hatch? Was it under a broody, incubator? We're there other eggs that were set that failed to make it to hatch?

He hatched in an incubator and took about 13 hours from first peck to when he was fully out. We had about 13 eggs to start with, 8 silkie eggs and 5 barred rocks. All the silkies died, and only 4 barred rocks were alive when we candled them on day 18. During hatching, only 2 barred rocks hatched, the rest of them suffocated. I'm thinking it may have to do with where we got the eggs from, perhaps because of the hens that laid the eggs? He's eating regular chick started crumble, same as his sister. He has gained 1g since birth, he will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. His sister is not about 61g.

His walking is getting faster though, perhaps an improvement?

Thanks for all your replies!

He hatched in an incubator and took about 13 hours from first peck to when he was fully out. We had about 13 eggs to start with, 8 silkie eggs and 5 barred rocks. All the silkies died, and only 4 barred rocks were alive when we candled them on day 18. During hatching, only 2 barred rocks hatched, the rest of them suffocated. I'm thinking it may have to do with where we got the eggs from, perhaps because of the hens that laid the eggs? He's eating regular chick started crumble, same as his sister. He has gained 1g since birth, he will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. His sister is not about 61g.

Thanks for all your replies!😊

Thanks for all your replies!
But I don’t really understand how come 11 eggs suffocate or die?there must be an issue in the incubator space or temp or himidity not the hen.I’m still in this journey count me in!

Back
Top Bottom