Week old chick sick? *new video update*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JNorth, Mar 5, 2014.

1. JNorth

JNorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    Western New York
    I have 2 chicks, about a week old both Cornish rock hens, that are acting odd. Lethargic, and not interested in food or drink. One's head lists off to one side and the other's one wing droops. Neither will walk. If I pick them up their legs straighten and just hang. They do not seem to be in pain, but the one chick whose head lists to one side is also trembling. It almost sounds like Meraks, but aren't they too young? What else could it be?

Edited to add video link:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    It could possibly be wry neck. I've had four cases of wry neck each case severe. My birds would tremble shake twisted neck and Un able to walk. I was able to cure all cases by following alan stanfords treatment for wry neck. You can find his treatment by going to browneggblueegg.com and look under articles then choose crook neck. It goes over all doses and schedules of treatment. I would leave out the predinsone because of your birds age but basically the treatment consists of vitamin E vitamin b liquid children's vitamin polyvisol without iron and a very small amount of selenium to help absorb the vitamin e. In large amounts selienium can be toxic so you will use a very small amount. Wry neck can be due to a vitamin deficiency a peck on the head or poor genetics. I'm not saying your bird has it because I've not seen your bird but it sounds like it could be possible. If you can post a picture it might be helpful. But this could be another possibility. Vitamin defiency can manafiest with similar symptoms. It could be worth looking into. I hope this helps. If it is wry neck it takes about a month to heal with treatment and the bird may need help eating and drinking during that time. I wish you the best.

3. JNorth

Mar 7, 2012
    Western New York

Here is a video... Hopefully it works.

4. JNorth

Mar 7, 2012
    Western New York
    I'm feeding PurinaPurina medicated chick starter and using Save A Chick water supplement.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Video won't play, says it's private.

Could be an infection. I just lost two ducklings to something I thought was wry neck, but it was a yolk sac infection (e. Coli). How do their bellies look? You could try some Corid in case it's coccidiosis.

-Kathy

6. JNorth

Mar 7, 2012
    Western New York
    Video should work now. I always forget it's set to private by default.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Wow, that doesn't look good. [​IMG] See how it's breathing?

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How hard do you want to try to save them? I would definitely start the others on Corid.

-Kathy

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  9. JNorth

Mar 7, 2012
    Western New York
    I was able to give her some electrolytes an a little sugar water drip by drip from my finger but she has no interest in food. Every no and again she gets a short burst of energy and chirps when she hears the other chicks nearby.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You need to keep her warm. Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by