Week old chick with bald butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spiffwilkie, Mar 22, 2011.

1. spiffwilkie

spiffwilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    I bought some chicks at the feed store this evening and didn't notice any issues with them. After getting them in the brooding box I went in for a while. When I came back out I noticed one of the chicks had some poop stuck to its behind and was pretty bald all around the poop. I cleaned it off with some warm water and the chick seems otherwise healthy. I haven't noticed any major pecking going on between the chicks. Any ideas on this?
    This is my first go at small chicks. Actually, in chickens in general. I recently acquired a 4 week-old Black Copper Marans, but are keeping her separated from the chicks for a while.

2. No biggee! Very common to have Pasty Butt on chicks. Usually pecking or pulling of the poopy butt will take off some of the chicks fuzz. Wash them as needed like you did and they will be ok. All that fuzz that is gone will be covered by feathers in about 3 weeks or so if not sooner. Good job [​IMG] of keeping an eye on them.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Put a little grease of some sort on him afterwards if you have to clean him again, and next time the poop won't stick so badly. Cooking oil, Vaseline, Neosporin, A&D, Crisco -- whatever you have.

4. spiffwilkie

spiffwilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    Quote:Thanks, I might try that. Of course, putting cooking oil or Crisco on a live chicken just seems wrong [​IMG].

Thanks for the feedback, all. I went out this morning and all the little guys were going crazy running around and having fun.
    I think my older Black Copper Marans is a little jealous. She seemed to be extra nice this morning, trying to grab some attention from me.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by