Week old chick with blocked crop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CheckerCorgi, Mar 6, 2017.

1. CheckerCorgi

CheckerCorgi New Egg

Jun 17, 2016
    I suspect one of my new chicks has a blocked crop. I am new to this so I can't be sure, but that is what it seems like. I noticed it about three days ago and it never goes all the way down. Last night I took their food away overnight and this morning I could still clearly see this one chick's crop was still enlarged, albeit not AS large as it had been. I think SOME food is getting through. So far I have added ACV to their water and tried massaging it some, but I am afraid to try to make it regurgitate like I have seen advised for adults. While I think she is still getting some nutrients through, I can tell she is smaller than the other two that are the same age and I am worried she isn't getting enough. What can I do!?[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    What kind of bedding are you using? It could be that the chick ate some and it's blocked up with fibers too large to pass or it could be the digestive tract itself isn't properly formed.

Don't give vinegar or yogurt. Those things can cause additional problems in a crop not emptying normally.

I haven't had to do this but the massage it back up treatment is the only one I know of that will work for indigestible stuff short of surgery.

Here's a site known to have good information:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html?m=1

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  3. CheckerCorgi

CheckerCorgi New Egg

Jun 17, 2016
    I am using pine shaving (flakes now, but stupidly got the fine bedding at first that TSC recommended), so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the problem. I would say they were on the fine stuff for about 3 days before I switched it out. I do notice it seems to have gone down a little bit today. I will change out the water so they don't have the ACV now then I guess.... everything I read yesterday said it would be good. *sigh*

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Don't beat yourself up. I'm using the fine shavings. Many here do and it's rarely an issue. And truly, there are birth defects that can cause the same symptoms.

5. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    I don't know about the dosage for a little baby chick but I had good luck clearing my hen with good old stool softeners, docusate sodium (costco sells generic) -- nothing with a stimulant, just the softener. Maybe others will have an idea of a chick dose or why we wouldn't try this with a chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by