Week old chick with closed eye

treeves

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2015
El Paso,Tx
We got 3 chicks today and I noticed after we got them home I noticed one had its eye closed. Does anyone know what this could be or if it's fixable?

It could either be a birth defect or an eye infection. I have a hen that was born with a birth defect in one eye. She is blind in this eye.

Her other eye is fine.

I was going to cull her as a chick. Glad I didn't. She is one of the most friendliest hens. I will just not hatch out any of her chicks. Can you submit a pic of your chick?

Thank you! After looking at her eye this morning it looks like the same thing. It doesn't seem to bother her.
Do you have a problem with yours being skittish and pecking? I read that this can be a problem.

I think that mostly is the breed or the way they are raised. My 9 year old has spoiled "Bad Eye". I have seen that poor chicken be dressed in doll clothes, swing on the swing, all sorts of stuff a chicken shouldn't have to go thru! LOL! But she is one of the nicest hens. She is a partridge cochin/RIR mix.

I did see one time, not sure if this is true, that chickens eyes are meant for 2 purposes. Their left eye is to see food. Their right eye is to see predators. If that's true, mine has adapted and overcame. We have plenty of hawks around here that take out a few of my chickens each year.

Thanks for the information! She's been ready easy going thus far but, she's only a week old. I'm hoping that by handling her and getting her used to us will make get less skittish.

Yes, usually human interaction when they are that young helps to calm them down. Good luck with it. Keep me posted
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom