Week old chick with distended bottom/belly, and lethargy.

tinkerteachermom

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2020
Hi all,
I've been keeping chickens since March and so far all my hens are thriving. I have a second batch of chicks that I picked up this past weekend and one of my little ones isn't doing great and would appreciate any insights people may have.

From the very afternoon I picked her up, I noticed she was off. She is a black Australorpe, and one week old and some change First off, she was very lethargic compared to the rest who were moving around like crazy. She is slow, and loses her balance at times when the others fly past I have observed her eating but not nearly as much as the rest. I don't see her drink and I have periodically been giving her water from a dropper.

Her poop seems normal, maybe a bit runny. What worries me most is that she has a swollen/distended belly/bottom. I'm not sure what to do for her. She doesn't have a blocked vent, and I have never seen this before.

I'm surprised she is still with us to be honest. She hasn't improved since Saturday...but she hasn't gotten worse either.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the replies...here is an update! Sorry for the delay!

So I have to say, she seems to be doing a bit better. Still slow, and sometimes gets trampled by the others darting around, but she is eating and drinking much more vigorously. She is also lying down to rest every once in a while unlike before. She grooms herself and doesn't seem quite so "sleepy". She is still weak though...very easy to catch, does not resist handling at all...barely peeps.

As for the abdomen, I didn't see any umbellical issues, but she does have a discolored abdomen. A few days ago, I thought it looked a little purple and even green in one spot, and now it is more pink and yellow. It almost feels like a scab...a little hard to the touch, but I feel like it is internal, however I have no idea what I'm really looking at here. Could it be bruising from an injury? Infection?

I quite frankly can't believe she has made it to 2 weeks. As you can see though, she is about half the size of her sister who is the same age. I wonder what kind of supplement I may be able to give her.

I've attached some pictures below. She is the Australorp on the far right in the picture. Her same age sister is just to the left. The others in the picture are 2 weeks older.

Attachments

• 20200628_192047.jpg
    20200628_192047.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200628_192112.jpg
    20200628_192112.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200628_191908.jpg
    20200628_191908.jpg
    624.1 KB · Views: 11
Have you treated for coccidiosis? I just lost 2 babies to it. Treated the other 13 and they seem to he doing very well.
No, I didn't as I did not have any bloody stool evidence, however I do have Corid on hand in case I suspect it. Right now, I think I've ruled that out. I think it may be some kind of internal injury or infection.

Is her navel healed up - no redness or purple color of the abdomen?
If you have some Poultry Nutri-Drench, I would give her 2-3 drops twice a day.

She's a week old - and acted off when you got her - was she shipped or where did she come from?
I was thinking of trying the Nutri-Drench. She came from a pretty reputable breeder near me. She was hatched on her farm, and I picked her up about a week ago and did a 30 minute drive home. I don't think the trauma came from the trip.

NutriDrench works miracles. I have seen it make the difference between not thriving and thriving in numerous chicks. It's worth a shot, and it's great to have on hand anyway.

Back
Top Bottom